The Seed Catalogs Are Rolling In!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
. . .

Has anyone gotten a Jung spring catalog yet?
Hey, C :frow!

All the new Jung catalogs have shown up in my mailbox . . . except for Seymour's Selected Seeds. I see on their website that there are, "Fantastic new flowers to add color in your landscape in 2009!" :rolleyes: Suspect that Jung isn't publishing that catalog these days!

I also got a CThank You some time ago ;).

Steve :)

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Howdy Steve-o :frow

hmmm....I haven't gotten the Jung catalog yet....:/ Kinda surprising since they seemed to send me catalogs all summer and fall (when I'm not interested!). I have one thing I know for sure that I want to reorder from them...some sweet corn seed!

I have to say my all-time favorite seed catalog is Johnny's Selected Seeds. There is so much info in there on how to raise each type of plant! Their catalogs are like garden encyclopedias almost....I find myself going back to them throughout the season for growing tips, harvesting info, etc. I'm really glad they include all that....and it's free!

As I said before I like the Baker Creek catalog. LOVE the pictures.

What are your favorites? Any other good ones out there I should sign up for? :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been sitting looking through the 5 that showed up last week... just drooling away! :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Caleb, I got my Jung catalog this week, along with a stack more.
I have over 30 catalogs now. I do order alot but I am guessing that my name just got shared with other companies.
I don't mind because I love to look through them.

My Baker Creek order came yesterday, I got 40 packets of seeds from them and a few more from Johnnies yesterday as well.
I love how pretty the seed packets are from Baker Creek.
I also got a couple of pretty new bean poles delivered this week.
I am awaiting seeds from a couple of more places and I ordered my seed potatoes and onion plants.
I ordered early so I could get everything I want this year, its a bummer when something sells out before you can order.

Everything is coming together, I am almost done with all my ordering and mapped out the gardens, now if the snow would just melt...........

Some of the more noteworthy catalogs in terms of them offering organic, heirloom or having a wide variety is
The Natural Gardening Company: The oldest certified organic nursery in the United States

Territorial Sed Company: A great colorful catalog with a wide variety

Pinetree Gardens: has a coupon in the back for free shipping on orders over $75.00

High Mowing Organic Seeds
and
Abundant Life
Both have colorful catalogs and a offer a good variety of organic seeds.

Seeds of Change: I like this company because they are involved in alot of grass roots gardening projects, they have organic and heirloom seed and their catalog has a few pages on space challenged gardening and resource info.
They can be more expensive on some things but also have average priced things as well. Worth checking out.

Johnny's Select Seeds: A good size catalog with descriptions and alot of growing info included on each item.
I like to support them because they are an employee owned company and are local to me ( New England).

Landreth's Seeds: They have the a gorgeous catalog.
I got it last year and they are offering the same one this year but are charging $5.00 for the expense of reprinting this year.
I never pay for catalogs but this one is worth it.

http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5689

Richters Herbs: Everything you can imagine for herbs.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I look forward to Richters, also. Tea herbs have a real appeal to me - especially, during these long winter months.

As some of you know, my favorite blend is lemon verbena and licorice mint (anise hyssop). This year, I think I'll try - lemon catnip, lemon bergamot, maybe a citrus mint - and anise verbena! See? I'll turn the flavors around! Okay, simple pleasures for simple minds . . . ;)

Fedco is fairly new to me. I've only ordered from them 3 or 4 years. Still, they are a "feel good" seed company for me! I am developing some trust in their products and appreciate their selections.

May order from Seeds of Change this year for the 1st time.

I do have to go with the outfits that offer larger quantities since there is a fair amount of garden to fill.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just ordered Richter's! Thanks! Steve, you grow these herbs- you dry them, put them in a tea ball and voila?? Is there more to it than that? I planted some type of hyssop last year, and have chocolate mint, regular and few other herbs...Seems a little too easy-

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I have always dried anise hyssop and have found that I like lemon verbena both died and frozen. There is more flavor to a frozen lemon verbena leaf than a dry one, however.

Since it is fairly new to me - to grow my own tea herbs - I haven't tried too many ways to prepare them. Still, I'm happy :).

Catnip tastes much better dried than fresh. That makes me suspect that I wouldn't enjoy it frozen.

Harvest as they first begin to develop flower buds, rinse thoroughly in clean water, shake the water off them and either hang to dry or freeze - that has been the extent of the processing. I like those wax coated paper bags for storing dry herbs. They are fine in there for 12 months. The frozen herbs are in a plastic freezer bag.

I have had the same tea ball for brewing for years and years. It takes about 1 teaspoon of dry anise hyssop and about 4 or 5 lemon verbena leaves to make a 10 ounce mug of tea. I'm happy :).

Steve
:caf

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Steve, that sounds easy enough! I will certainly give it a try next year! When you say "frozen"- do you just put the leaves in a freezer bag?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pull the freezer bag out of the compartment in the top of the fridge, the cabinet is right beside it with the dry herbs and, my ingredients are at hand!

Some herbs like basil come from Johnnys but I may order Richters' Gecofure Basil. I appreciate that resistance to fusarium - hate that stuff in the basil!

Johnnys is probably my #1 source for seeds. Stokes comes close. Both, sell in large packets for those seeds I need like that.

A company that I buy more from each year is Osbourne in Mt. Vernon, Washington. Mt. Vernon is not only known for its Tulip Festival but this is a major agricultural area in the Northwest and Osbourne has a wide selection and good prices for the produce farms. But, they also sell in smaller quantities.

Steve