The Seed Companies' Hybrids

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This would also be more true of ones that we are responsible for. DW was looking at the tiny plants from the tiny seeds from those tiny fruits of my attempt at crossing Kimberley and Buisson last season. I could tell that she was trying not to say anything but I went ahead and pointed out that the genes are all there if indeed, I was able to properly move pollen. By the way, there are 3 of those tiny plants now.

Here's what I have been thinking about: why there is often such consistency in the seedlings of the seed companies' hybrids?

I've been moving around a lot of all kinds of tomato plants. I think that I will have 30+ varieties in the garden this year. Most of my plants are hybrids but there must be about 20 heirlooms in the mix.

Something like an Early Girl or a Sungold - the plants are so similar, one after another. I think of them as "sisters" but it is more than that. Their parents are like brothers and sisters. The Mom and Dad to these things may be a good deal different, genetically. But, the Moms are probably about as close to being identical twins as the plant breeders can get them. It would be true of the Dads, too.

Some characteristics were very important to the plant breeders. Of course, it was the characteristics of the offspring that was most important for the bottom line. I wonder if one parent, or both, might have something that we would really not care for in our garden plants but it really doesn't come through to the offspring.

You have probably figured this all out but I think that it's just kind of interesting that there must be some highly-valued little fields of inbred parent plants grown somewhere, each year. There might be some highly-valued grandparent plants, also.

The hybrid offspring? Yeah, bushels of seed must go out from the hybridizers' operations each year. But, it's the parent plants that have the value to the companies. They probably just have a few Early Girl plants outside their lunchroom door where the people there can just sort of entertain themselves by looking at them and picking a fruit, now and then.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are correct. Toured a vegetable seed plant once. It was amazing to see rows of huge super sacs filled with vegetable seeds. Inbreds are a highly guarded secret. Imagine most are grown in green houses. We never got into that discussion as it was more about the company in general.

One thing I learned is they look at genetics vs. physical. We may see 2 similar plants in physical but completely different in terms of genetic families. Both have different strengths and weaknesses.

Why when I find one I like, I'm very hard to change off of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Appearance vs. Genetics concerns me just a bit. I have been happy with the characteristics of the parents I was attempting to cross in 2013. I felt that I didn't really have anything to lose by crossing them.

The most important thing to gain, I thought, was that "hybrid vigor" that we read about in high school biology. Of course, I am not counting on anything hidden in the parents showing up that tosses a monkey wrench into the equation!

What I do realize is that I have to do a better job with timing. That was why the seedlings, seeds and fruits were/are so small! I just completely ran outta time in the growing season.

Having our own hybrid seems so doable to me. Benefit? That remains to be seen. And, I may be putting too much emphasis on this vigor thing.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hybrid vigor can be tricky to define. May get better health, early vigor, cold tolerance, etc, but yet, smaller and less fruit.

Or larger and better fruit but spindly sickly plants.

In perfect world, get both.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see trees of green, red roses, too,
I see them bloom, for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white . . .
hmmm, mmm . . .

You can turn on your speakers and "click" the baby . . .

Steve :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hybrid vigor can be tricky to define. May get better health, early vigor, cold tolerance, etc, but yet, smaller and less fruit.

Or larger and better fruit but spindly sickly plants.

In perfect world, get both.

Not to mention taste and nutritive value.

Latest posts