The spring nursery is open! Squirrels and possums & Chickenhawks oh MY

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok the spring nursery, known as our yard, is well underway. Things are very different this year - so far, we have 2 orphaned baby black squirrels in a cage and FIVE orphaned baby possums!!
We have found seven baby possums so far, but one was already dead and one other one died. It seems like every other day either we find one wandering through the yard or the neighbors find one on their patio and bring it over to go in with the rest! Is anyone else seeing this happen this spring? We believe the Mama-killer is a large adult Red Tailed Hawk that has taken up this territory. :th We've seen him right up close and he's even swooped us! One evening, he buzzed two small children a block over! That was scary, but he must have realized they were to big to carry off once he got up close to them!

But some of our good friends returned just yesterday - we have a flock of kingbirds that normally roost in a line of trees right across the street - they'll get that Chickenhawk in line in NO time!! :celebrate The Chimney sweeps and Barn Swallows are also back, and filled with exuberant delight when we stir up the bugs when we mow the grass or fields! The thing I HAVEN'T seen is what I saw tons of last year - baby Robins going cheep cheep cheep loudly after Mama and baby bunnies under every car and in all the gardens! Where are they? Is it still too early?

No caterpillars yet, or monarch butterflies (but I'm getting ready for them!), but the Cabbage White butterflies are BACK! If you need me, I'll be outside in my gardens!! Or cleaning out the possum's cage!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2ndtimearound said:
The thing I HAVEN'T seen is what I saw tons of last year - baby Robins going cheep cheep cheep loudly after Mama and baby bunnies under every car and in all the gardens! Where are they? Is it still too early?
They're all at my house. :rolleyes: Dog caught a bunny a couple of weeks ago that had squeezed under the orchard fence and couldn't squeeze back out. The robins are raiding my compost heaps and garden for worms to feed their kids. Don't worry, there's plenty...

Latest posts