The Useful Rock

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just out there putting some rocks around for utilitarian purposes, and it reminded me, it's not NEARLY commonly-enough talked about in gardening books and such, so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else finds the technique as useful as I do.

Rocks are just great in the garden. Not only for decoration (borders, 'focal points', decorative contrast to adjacent plants, or of course yer actual Rock Garden) but also for FUNCTIONAL purposes.

Almost all plants (and especially newly-transplanted, heat-sensitive, or moisture-loving ones) will benefit from living under a rock. So to speak. Take a rock, brick- to toaster-sized, and put it right next to the plant's stem, on the W or SW side of the plant. For extra effect put down two rocks, one on the SW part of the root mass and one on the SE part. This will keep the root mass cool and more moist, and thus keep the plant much healthier and grow better.

I primarily use these rocks for newly-transplanted perennials and shrubs, but it is equally useful for any other plant you want to coddle a bit, including newly-set-out veg transplants early in the year.

For utilitarian purposes it doesn't even have to be attractive purty type rocks -- I use paver bricks and chunks of concrete rubble when I just want something temporary like for veg transplants or newly-put-in perennials, although I use nice rounded granite rocks from the back fencerow for locations where they'll stay more permanently, e.g. on clematis roots or on exposed shrubs in hot/dry locations.

Give it a try, it does more good than you might think :)

(Also, IMO any flowerbed wider than about 4' will benefit from some flat rocks strategically located to let you put a foot onto them when reaching in to weed, so that you KNOW you are not squooshing a plant or its root system.)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am constantly adding to my "rock collection". When I go places, I pick out about 3 rocks (big rocks!) to add to my garden as souveniers. So now I have several different types of rock, which adds interest. My favorites are the pink granite I got at Dolly Sods here in WV.

They are great protection for tender plants from DH's over-ambitious weed whacker too! :rolleyes:

I like to take paper feed sacks and pull them halfway under my fencelines and line them with rocks to keep the grass from creeping into my flowerbeds. They look nice and tidy too. And DH can hit them with the weedwhacker all he wants!

I am going to have to tell my MIL to try that with her clematis (as was also mentioned somewhere on here a few weeks ago). I've always wondered why they never grew large and dense with bloom like others I've seen elsewhere. Nothing like a giant purple clump of clematis to get your attention! :happy_flower

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great tips. Rocks also store the suns heat and give it back at night. In borderline areas they just might make the difference between frost or no frost.
One thing I'll never run out of in my garden is rocks. This area was beach a few million years ago so the ground is full of rocks worn smooth in the surf.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I seem to remember a post where someone (Digits?) mentioned using rocks as mulch. I tid it several years ago and it worked great but at the end of the season you have all thse rocks to move out of the way so you can till for next season, unless you use the no till method.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Rocks are also great for holes in your driveway. Mine had gotten so bad that my friend said she could only stop by when in her truck. So, this week I got a "brilliant" idea. I found a driveable spot to get into my dried up pondbed, hauled 19 large outdoor garbage cans worth of Ga. red clay into the biggest hole and topped with lots of rocks. This resulted, after a few daily rains, in a driveway that can only be traversed by a truck with 4 wheel dr. by those who enjoy an exciting spin.I thought I had enough rocks to top it, but each time I drove over, those rocks disappeared to China. So, for the last couple days, I have been tilling extra newground, actually rejoicing with each boulder that the tiller spits out. After using every rock on the place and hauling about 5 more cans of some yellow semi- sandy clay I found in the pondbed, it's now sort of passable (until the next major rain). At least the Fed-Ex truck just showed up, although the driver wasn't too happy. Hope he made it out. Telling folks, "Oh, just drive through the field.", isn't going over well, but I guess we won't be robbed. Gonna see if granite quarry is still giving away scrap or if anyone on Craig's list has rocks before breaking down and buying a load,$$$.

Latest posts