The West

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
westernUS.PNG

There it is, on the 23rd. Frozen up here in space with my tablet, I don't know today's date. Ha!

If you you really look at that, you can get some idea of what is going on out here.

Steve
must have left out CityFarmer's Colorado neighborhood but that was inadvertent. yeah, i just can't seem to get this camera pointed in the right direction from my lazyboy!

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That offshore cloud is supposed to give us ( SW Washington ) a 20% chance of rain by Tuesday ... Our annual rainfall year starts on Oct. 1 , with 7.3" of rain which is 10.3" below normal . Hardly any rain to speak of this year and the daily overcast clouds only produce fog and no sun. Equates to DROUGHT. Would you believe I had to water our plants yesterday ( City water is very expensive here)? So, when are the native medicine men going to do the RAINDANCE to remedy this situation ? :fl

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a dreadful drought several years ago Bob. It was heartbreaking to see the trees dying. Grass will come back in a season, but trees take tens of years to replace. And the fires! It seemed like all of Texas was on fire. Sending rain thoughts your way.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Dry, dry, dry. After all the flooding in August and September, we were all hoping for a wet winter. Somebody turned the faucet off though. Still holding out hope though, March and April tend to be our snowiest months. The good news though is our mountains are getting snow. Maybe water restrictions won't be so bad this year because of that.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:fl I keep watching the weather maps and hoping praying for rain for you folks in the far west. :fl Having had a severe drought in 2012 (only 5 inches from April to October) with few showers bringing more than 1/4 inch, I still can't imagine the circumstances you find yourself experiencing.

I lost a few younger trees, a few perennials and basically one growing season. :hugs Ya'll are facing decades in recovery if these conditions continue.:hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you see that high country between California and Oregon -- the Siskiyou Mountains. Wikipedia says correctly that they are "subtly beautiful, botanically diverse, and the wildest the region has to offer."

They run on over into the Klamath Mountains and are like a wall between the two states while linking the "high dry" side with the "wet coastal" side. The Redwoods are on the west side, a high desert is on the east.

You can see how few trees are now on the east side and right into the middle of those mountains. I worry that this barren ground will extend on west and into that Redwood forest. It isn't just those great trees that may be lost. It is this wonderful mountain diversity and uniqueness.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a chance of slight showers on Thursday but I don't think it will amount to much. I really worry about what is happening with our climate/weather. :(

Mary