Thessalonikas?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a few Thessalonika tomato seeds they would be willing to trade? I have several different herb seeds, such as calendula, yarrow, sage, oregano, flat leaf parsley, comfrey, maral root.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got a bunch. I only want to (have room to) try a couple of each of the 4 that I ordered - so half a pack will be just sitting.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew those some years back in Montana, and some at the wheatgrass place. Good Tomatoes, good plants. Among Tomatoes, things about this variety just makes them not stand out. No stripes, not yellow or white, not heart shaped, not huge or tiny, has a good average heirloom red color, a good medium flavor, not real round or real flat, no fancy fluting. Good looking but not a beauty contest winner.

And ya know, I like this variety just for these reasons! Czech Select was the one I was thinking was going to be that normal average tomato, and it is, but not the only one.

Another one that I was really impressed with is Costoluto Fiorentino. Average. Normal. Good.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago I saved seeds from some tomatoes I bought at Safeway. A large beautiful cluster, round red, and nice tasty tomato, pretty inside and out.

I grew those. They were obviously hybrids. all the f2's were good, but one of the plants made the same nice round red clusters of tomatoes, also pretty and glossy and good tasting, so I saved seeds from those, grew them, and saved seeds from the best one. I now have a nice selection of them I simply call Safeway Cluster.

Nice, average clusters of store bought type tomatoes. Early mid season, healthy plants, one cluster after another, they do well. 1st cluster with 6 or 7, 2nd cluster with 5 or 6, clusters after those I pinch back to 4. Nice how close together they ripen too.

Some folks just prefer store bought tomatoes, so it's nice to have a stabilized variety of store bought tomatoes. These are good, not rubbery, but they do have firm walls that are very red and juicy with some of that store bought flavor that some folks prefer, but, vine ripened and hand picked and grown, much better. :)

I think it's always a good thing to have some average normal tomato varieties.

But then, I really enjoy a tomato that's like a steak. Amana Orange comes to mind.

Oh...what if I cross Amana Orange with Safeway Cluster??? Clusters of orange round meaty Amana tomatoes??? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! What if they were all pretty and glossy, and...shippable???

That might just change the world!!!

Or...thessaloniki clusters??? but im only doing beans and a few peas this year, and my north bed is all bramble berries!

ok. I need 5 acres and a crew working for me!

Latest posts