they can sure spend a lot of time indoors

red-hen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OCMG, Here is how I use mine. I pour enough steaming hot water over them until they expand completely. I let them stand until they are somewhat cool, then pour off any excess water that didn't absorb. Put seeds in to correct depth. Put them in a sealed clear container (anything really - plastic baggy, cut down milk jug, bakery container etc.) and pop them into a window. I leave them alone as long as the seedlings have enough headroom in the container. That's it. If you didn't wet them enough, that might ruin it. Or if you didn't put them in their little closed "green house" they might dry out. But otherwise, there's nothing to them. :) hope that helps!

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Aside from the Steaming hot water that is basically what i do. I always put everything in plastic it works so nice.
In fact I put some seed starting soil in a plastic flat bowl tossed a bunch of marigolds in and today I found them all growing, that was only a few days ago.

My limas are absolutely huge, I have so many mini greenhousess they are everywhere. :he

Thanks for the info but I will stick to my peat pots. :hugs

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OCMG I prepare the same way you do but I get really good results could it be you are in a humid climate & I am in a dry? Could that be the difference?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never had any trouble at all with peat pellets (you mean like the Jiffy pellets, right?). And gee, my mom has used them since probably the seventies if not earlier for things that don't like their roots messed with when transplanting. With total success. And that was in zone 6-7 relatively humid climates like OCMG.

I wonder whether there may have been something Wrong with the ones you got, OCMG?

Dunno, and I am totally not arguing with your poor results, I don't blame you for never wanting to use 'em again! I just don't want anyone to think your experience is typical ;)

Pat

Latest posts