Thinking about canning

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok
I never pressured cook (heard stories of the pot blowing up, that scares me) and never canned.
Now I love to learn how to can/preserve and yes someday pressure cook.
Is there a good book(s) to read on these subjects? I went to B&N and so many to chose from, a couple where confusing.
Just need one that is simple for this simple mind lol

Dorrie

:tools

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Go get you a copy of The Blue Ball Canning book. It will tell you everything you need and how to can anything you want. It also explains a lot of the things it is telling you to do. Good Luck

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Go get you a copy of The Blue Ball Canning book. It will tell you everything you need and how to can anything you want. It also explains a lot of the things it is telling you to do. Good Luck
I agree here, get the Ball Blue Book.

I too was afraid of canning because of all the "blow up stories" but never actually talked to any one this happined to, and if it did it was because of not paying attention. Now the more I can the easier it gets and the more I am interested.

Nancy

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My DW and her father had a blow up adventure trying to can fish. You talk about a mess! :lol:

Glad it was way before I was ever around, The laugh might have killed me ( or dw would have)

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I still say if you read and follow the instructions that came with your canner there will not be any problems.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree absolutely, It is hard telling what they did.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think there was a problem with certain older canners. Probably the companies that went out of business. If you're worried, have your canner tested. If all is well and you follow the directions, you should be fine. I think most of the newer canners have tons of safety aspects built in.

As for books, I agree that the Ball book is great for beginners. If you can't find it or don't want to buy right now, most extension offices and the USDA have their stuff readily available online.

This site I think has good step by step pictures.
http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/disclaimer.html

HTH

Latest posts