This 'black mold' Meningitis is so Sad to Think About

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These people didn't get those steroid shots because everything was going great in their lives.

They were in pain. When I had these shots - as useless as they proved to be - the shot itself was painful.

And then, meningitis must be a very bad way to go. . . "14,000 people potentially at risk."

'black mold' meningitis (link)

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is horrible and upsetting watching the death toll go up each day. Unbelievable that they'd let something like that happen. :(

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been following this story closely as well, because i run the xray sometimes for the injections. Luckily nowhere that i work used any steroids from that pharmacy. I'm astonished that it seems like sloppy, human error that was the cause of all this.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think if something like that happened to one of my family, I would be so eaten up with anger, revenge would be in my thoughts as much as sorrow. I don't know how people handle it when a senseless murder or injury happens to their child or spouse. Many people turn tragedy into something positive, like MADD, for instance, but I don't think I would ever get past that first anger. Guess I'm not as far evolved as I would like to think.
Oh, I don't harbor grudges very long, when I get taken advantage of or someone does me "wrong", but this kind of thing....it is so much more....And so unnecessary! If only those people had followed the rules.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know the details of the contamination but, it certainly was an accident. It cannot be compared with a drink driver who decides to drive drunk.
so lucky said:
I think if something like that happened to one of my family, I would be so eaten up with anger, revenge would be in my thoughts as much as sorrow. I don't know how people handle it when a senseless murder or injury happens to their child or spouse. Many people turn tragedy into something positive, like MADD, for instance, but I don't think I would ever get past that first anger. Guess I'm not as far evolved as I would like to think.
Oh, I don't harbor grudges very long, when I get taken advantage of or someone does me "wrong", but this kind of thing....it is so much more....And so unnecessary! If only those people had followed the rules.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My best friend's son was in the hospital for a week, because he got one of those shots. He was very fortunate that it was caught early and that he recovered.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"There is appropriate concern about the toxicity of voriconazole, particularly at the doses recommended to treat meningitis," Kauffman says. "Visual hallucinations have been especially problematic in patients treated in this outbreak and appear to be related to high serum levels." (link)

Hallucinations?

The 1st linked article says that treatment should continue for "at least three months."

Three months with the risk of hallucinations? Sad.

Steve

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tennessee has been the most hard hit state, we have had 10 deaths already. Yes, there is months of treatment afterwards. One lady spent weeks in hospital, home but giving herself IV's for three months and meds for 6 months. She can barely hold her head up. MONEY, root of evil!