this has to be noxious or it is just downright deadly ..what the heck?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never ever ever seen anything like this in my yard ..in Washington state! what the heck kind of noxious weed is this?

it started growing in the chicken yard in a sandy area

those spines are deadly and my chickens give it all the room it needs..

6185_img_4442.jpg

6185_img_4444.jpg

6185_img_4443.jpg

thanks in advance

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How funny i had this growing by the chickens smaller yard. It got little melon looking things but they had terrible pokey spines also. Hope someone knows what it is, it kinda looked like my watermelon when it first started growing.
:rainbow-sun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting isn't it. I also had this appear in my gardens about two season now. Prior to that I had never seen it before.

It is most definitely a member of Deadly Nightshade family based on the flowers alone.

ahhhh...here it is http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/yellows/yellow93.html

It is called Buffalo Burr Nightshade.

It was probably filled in a field of chicken feed and we all subsequently got it from there. Thank you Mr. Farmer!

LOL :rolleyes: Like we need another introduced sticker plant in the desert LOL

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome back CoGirl!!! :ya is this a cayote squash like in the southwest? if so how on earth did it get here? I do not remember them having spines however and the seedpods can you see them they look deadly

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Interesting isn't it. I also had this appear in my gardens about two season now. Prior to that I had never seen it before.

It is most definitely a member of Deadly Nightshade family based on the flowers alone.

ahhhh...here it is http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/yellows/yellow93.html

It is called Buffalo Burr Nightshade.

It was probably filled in a field of chicken feed and we all subsequently got it from there. Thank you Mr. Farmer!

LOL :rolleyes: Like we need another introduced sticker plant in the desert LOL

Ron
omg I think I am very pissed off over this! I think you are right Ron! darn it! I better get it out of there tomorrow I am going to put it in a black bag and kill it dead

I could say bad words right now but this is a family board ..just know they are in my brain

I am always afraid of turning something invasive loose in my woods here ..it already is choking with someone elses English Ivy and I keep trying to plant natives by the green belt ..but this is obviously not a native

thanks for the ID Ron I am sure you are right ..hugs to you ..errrrr to this! I am going to use my husbands welding gloves and get it out tomorrow first thing!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my blue eyed chipmunk was out there running around with the chickens yesterday ..I am so pissed! ok I just need to take care of this asap! I knew it was an alien .I wish it had been cayote squash ..errrrr :somad I am not buying feed or scratch anymore there is plenty here to feed chickens a healty diet

eta LOL the editor on this site caught me trying to say a bad word and changed it to "ticked" how funny ..but good!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice job Ron!
You are good at plant ID.

This looks a lot like what we get around here in fields and woodlands.
We call it the seven minute itch plant. I forget the real name. I know it is not the same plant.
These things grow small and low to the ground, A barefoot walk through a field of these is well you see were this is going! :barnie :weee :barnie

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok today I go out there in welding gloves and with a big heavy black plastic bag ..should I put something in there with it to assure it's death you think? I do not have any chemicals but I could dump a box of salt on it or something like that? then to the dump with this one? I sure as heck am not composting it

I am going to be so on this area now wathing for its return

the chickens know what is good and what is not because as you can see not one other thing is living there ..they ate all the grass and use the area this weed in for dust baths ..

they have also eaten all the blackberry shoots and left every bit of the English ivy that slips through the fence ..I have to murder that too it is a great home for rats :rant I hate english ivy in Washington it is really really awful!

any suggestions for a good cover crop for the winter in the chicken yard? a little OT but since I started the tread I am entitled to drif off I think :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find it weird that in one part of the world a type of plant is a problem and is despised (your Ivy) yet here I love the stuff!

I have used it to cover my neighbor's unsightly fence.
Well good luck with your battle with it.
As far as a winter ground cover I have no idea.
I thought were you live snow would be the ground cover.

careful removing that weed!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thankyou for the id Ron.... Dh got it out with a shovel, but I better check for roots, what a nasty bugger. HiDelight be careful getting that out!
:rainbow-sun

Latest posts