This is my problem....

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What can I plant around it that is low maintenance, not too tall, and will cover this welll? This is about 3 feet tall by 5 feet in diameter. I saw something that looked like pampas grass but smaller and purple the other day. Does anyone know what that could've been? Any ideas of something to plant around this thing? I live in Southeast VA and this area is 6-8 hours full sun.
DSC_0218.jpg

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sun flowers... comes in different heights... shasta daisys.. day lillies... cosmos... all are fairly tall to camouflage the well head...

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know if it's advisable for a well....

but I'm thinking get you some pots..place one on a stand in the center of the well cap, and then more pots all around the stand on top of the well cap, than more around the well, you could make a strawberry pyramid...or just assorted plants.

Just a thought.

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's a septic cap, in case we have to pump it or do maintenance to it. I would like to have some shrubs. Something thick.....maybe even evergreen?

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I don't know if it's advisable for a well....

but I'm thinking get you some pots..place one on a stand in the center of the well cap, and then more pots all around the stand on top of the well cap, than more around the well, you could make a strawberry pyramid...or just assorted plants.

Just a thought.
That was my original idea...hence the pots gathered around now. But it's too high maintenance and you can still see the cap.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my septic cap and finally decided to leave it. The purple plant was probably purple fountain grass and it would be an annual in your neck of the woods.

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I have the same problem with my septic cap and finally decided to leave it. The purple plant was probably purple fountain grass and it would be an annual in your neck of the woods.
Yup that's what is was! Thanks! but that's a bummer its an annual for me.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've really liked my dwarf alberta spruce, i think eventually they get 6 or 8 feet tall, and its dense, so you wouldnt be able to see the septic cap thru them if you planted them all around. Might want to mix in something else with it tho. A euyonemous (sp??) or spirea for bloom and interest??

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want an evergreen, you could plant boxwood. It's shearable, or you could let it go a little billowy for a more casual look, and just shape with hand clippers occasionally.
Holly would work too as an evergreen, there are dwarf varieties.
Mugo pines can be kept small and sheared.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it was me, Id get some black rolled edging and go out about 2' all the way around the well. Then plant day lilies. Something simple, easy and will spread and get tall enough. Might take a little bit but wouldn't cost a kings ransom and if you had to get to it, you can dig them up easy enough and replant them or if damaged they'll grow back easy enough. That's about as easy and as low maintenance as your going to get.

Depending on where your from the big box stores will start discounting their perennials and they almost always have extra day lilies around. Plant them, they'll come back. They come in a variety of colors and heights, you could get a nice collection there.

Latest posts