This is the Internet . . .

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
SURE... usually to vist friends! (Especially thoseI have not visited in person!)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love it! I am always on a search for my "someday farm". So, I check out all the properties online first! And of course, I had to check out my own property!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have enjoyed zooooming off to look at a distant location, without leaving the comfort of my computer desk ;). Recently, I checked on Rebbetzin's summer destination (and discovered Green Gables, next door)!

This morning, I was curious about where my maternal grandmother's family was in southern Indiana. They arrived there, I guess, just after the gov'ment declared Indiana safe from Indians - okay, I'm showing my ignorance of Indiana history :rolleyes:.

Anyway, her great grandfather was buried in Salem. That is a modestly large town and I could probably locate his gravesite . . . if that had any interest to me. But, I'd like to know where they lived - and that was, apparently, in a place called Samaria, Indiana. But, Street View doesn't quite go to where they say Samaria is located. A quarter mile away, on the highway, there seems to be nothing but open countryside.

As I'm cruising down the highway, I can see some raised areas on the landscape which may be what is left of foundations. So, I'm left wondering if I'm seeing places where my ancestors once lived that are now no more than bumps.

Grandmother had a birthplace - in Missouri. Street View shows the location as an intersection of county roads . . . There is a farmhouse not too far away but whatever may have once been a community is completely gone except for, once again, some distant foundations!

I flew over quite a bit of Minnesota not all that long ago. Across the landscape, there was smudge after smudge of what once were farmsteads. These farms have been absorbed into larger holdings probably a long time ago. There remains little to most of them, when seen from such an altitude, except a smudge of bushes and trees along some country road. I think I enjoy seeing a bump covered with green grass a little more ;).

Steve

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use street view when I am going to an auction if I have never been in the area. Yes I am an auctionholic.. Lots of great garden items can be found... And just a lot of great junk which sometimes become new treasure for me

Don

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Perfect, I need to check this out... it will be the only way I'm ever going to get a vacation! LOL

Latest posts