This Old House Hour.... Really!?!?!?!?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D Working on it Mary. I'm am a terrible scrounger for plants. If I see something that is growing well in a difficult situation, I just assume that it will be beautiful with a little tending. I've tried to add some Carolina Jasmine dug up from the side of the road, but I can't seem to get it to transplant well. I've got several wild roses - also from road sides. They only bloom once a year, but the leaves are nice and dense and they like to climb along the fence (watch out for the thorns though :ep ). I snagged a couple of yucca from some woods and have just scored a bunch of iris and some other little blooming bulb thing. I might have a line on a clematis from the same place as the iris. And I'm ALWAYS open to freebies from friends. All of these have proven that they will grow well in my area - and I'm ALL about planting it, tending it the first summer and then letting it be. On a whim I pruned some volunteer shrub/trees along my fence line and people have been commenting on them ever since :p . I just wack off all the little sucker branches around the bottom a couple of times a summer and they look like some sort of ornamental tree.
My hope is that if I slowly build the garden, using things that I know will thrive here as the backbone, then I can add one or two 'experiments' every year for fun.

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's funny all this talk about lawns and grass and such. My fenced backyard is dog territory. There is minimal grass back there (I was thrilled when it started growing!). My front 'yard' is essentially my driveway. It's more dirt than grass/weeds. The side yard is thick with dandilions and clover. My flower beds are my pride and joy. I love all my perinneals that come back bigger and prettier every year. I spend hours ever week weeding and just admiring my handiwork. When I first moved here there was nothing. The weeds just went straight up against my home. Now there is flowers and mulch and butterflies swarm to my flowers. I love it!

Latest posts