This would have made a good slow motion clip....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy raw milk from a local small farmer every week, they provide the milk, I provide the gallon glass jar.

This morning I brought the jar out of the fridge to skim the cream and divide into two half gallon jars for convenience. Set the big jar on the counter, got all of my other stuff together, then picked the jar up to move over to the other countertop where I was going to skim and pour. As I carried it, I held it up and admired the large amount of cream riding on top of the milk, then stubbed my foot on the floor mat in front of the sink......and ever so slooowwwly watched the jar slip from my grasp and hit the floor with a milky explosion.

Drat!! Double drat!! There was a river of milk spreading across the kitchen tile with several small tributaries funneling away from the main current. I must have stared at it for an entire minute before going for an armload of towels.

Now at last the mess is cleaned up. The cabinets got a bonus wash, the floor is shiny clean and laundry just got moved to the top of today's to do list.

I'm having a mocha and the last quarter of pumpkin pie to console myself. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh SHOOT Thistle! I would have invented some multisyllabic cuss words that would have made Blackbeard the pirate himself blush!

Hang in there kid.

I know what you mean about the slow motion feel of certain things like this, like the time I had my 400 mph hour roller skating downhill accident during the mid neolithic. Each micro instant gets freeze framed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have done things like that more often than I care to admit. You knew that the stumble bum would respond tho', didn't you? Re-action falls into the "just do it" category.

We used to sell our milk on the farm. We'd do a round of the restaurants every now and then for wide-mouth mayonnaise jars - a couple folds of wax paper under the lid.

Milk would come into the house in 2 gallon steel buckets and be poured thru cheesecloth. I can remember the effort to hold the bucket steady and still see those jars lined up in the fridge. Mom had her regular route to people in town. It often seemed that they were folks with lots of kids. I am sure that there is no way something like this would go on now but we couldn't make enuf $ selling to the creamery with only 3 milk cows.

Yep, we always had fresh cream and butter along with all that milk :).

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had one of those slow motion moments before-

A few years ago in the middle of winter, my troublesome friend bet me 10 dollars that I couldn't climb to the top of this cottonwood tree in the backyard. Being the person that I am - (I have done some pretty stupid things for money) - I took him on. This was a fairly tall cotton wood tree sitting next to a frozen pond. (You may be able to see were this is going.) I probably got about 1/2 of the way up when I started to slip. All I can say is that I am glad that I already had ice when I landed. :p

I'm glad that it was only a thin layer of ice though, would have really hurt if it was skating thickness. I did lose 10 dollars that day though. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one that sticks in my mind is when I was working offshore. I was a lot younger and more nimble then. I was jumping from one boat to another. The boats were rocking pretty good on the seas. Youd watch the motion a bit to get the rhythm of the two boats rising and falling and jump when the boat you were on was at its peak. Either I misjudged pretty badly or we had a rogue wave, out of time with the others. Needless to say I jumped but that other boat came up before I could get my second leg over the handrail. A huge rubber tire used as a bumper penned my leg against that handrail. I remember very calmly wondering what it was going to feel like, having a broken leg.

It did not break. I didnt even get much of a bruise, but time definitely moved very slowly for a bit. Then the adrenaline hit.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedObsessor, you were pretty much flirting with disaster, weren't you? Some of those Funniest Home Videos on TV---some make me laugh, but nowadays, most of them make me cringe with imagined pain. Of course, some seem staged, and the participants almost deserving of the results, but those falls flat on the tailbone, or in the groin, or bonking the head on the steel beam. Just O.U.C.H!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Oh SHOOT Thistle! I would have invented some multisyllabic cuss words that would have made Blackbeard the pirate himself blush!

Hang in there kid.

I know what you mean about the slow motion feel of certain things like this, like the time I had my 400 mph hour roller skating downhill accident during the mid neolithic. Each micro instant gets freeze framed.

Metal skate wheels? We used to do that on our street, it was a cul-de-sac, and we would crash on the neighbors lawn that was in a direct line from the top of the street. Evening was best when you could see the sparks fly off the wheels!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
SeedObsessor, you were pretty much flirting with disaster, weren't you? Some of those Funniest Home Videos on TV---some make me laugh, but nowadays, most of them make me cringe with imagined pain. Of course, some seem staged, and the participants almost deserving of the results, but those falls flat on the tailbone, or in the groin, or bonking the head on the steel beam. Just O.U.C.H!
It was all for the money. :lol:

I once ate a big slimy chunk of fat off of a piece of raw corn beef when I was younger. I was paid 10 cents to do it. Popped it in my mouth, spat it in the garbage can, thought "what the heck am I doing?" and picked it back out and ate it. Then, Yay! 10 cents!

Good memories! :rolleyes: :p

Latest posts