This year's peas

Keen101

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello again flowerbug,

Glad my "large podded" mix is doing so well for you! One in the mix is slightly tastier than the others, if I had to guess I'd say 'Green Beauty'. This year I selected out the most wrinkled seeds of whatever was in that mix to plant out as the seeds will be sweeter. "Large Podded" has won my taste tests for 2 or three years in a row!

Working on breeding lots of new pea varieties this year.

Does anyone have seed for petite snap-greens? Can't find seeds anywhere this year. Would like to use it in a cross and see if I can improve it.

I can be found most often on the OSSI forum. Just found this forum today.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was briefly wondering if you were giving up on the new pea variety development, @Keen101 .

Rocky Mountain weather treating you okay, here at the end of February?

Good to see you here :frow!

Steve

Keen101

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Yes and no. Im having to cut back on varieties planted and crosses done. I may try to do a few limited crosses this year. But im still trying to get more organized in getting ready for potential crosses for the future.

My focus has shifted to practical edible ones over just cool genetics.

This year I'm putting most of my efforts on reelecting out a red-podded pea that tastes good. I think this is the year! Fingers crossed.

Got some others like sweet red seeds I'm gonna grow out and evaluate. Super sweet "sh2" seeds, and a few others.

Colorado weather is snowy and been fairly cold this winter, but not too bad right now, got a warm week coming up and spring is right around the corner. Gonna plant my peas in mid-life March.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello again flowerbug,

Glad my "large podded" mix is doing so well for you! One in the mix is slightly tastier than the others, if I had to guess I'd say 'Green Beauty'. This year I selected out the most wrinkled seeds of whatever was in that mix to plant out as the seeds will be sweeter. "Large Podded" has won my taste tests for 2 or three years in a row!

Working on breeding lots of new pea varieties this year.

Does anyone have seed for petite snap-greens? Can't find seeds anywhere this year. Would like to use it in a cross and see if I can improve it.

I can be found most often on the OSSI forum. Just found this forum today.

glad to see you posting here and good to hear from you. :)

sadly almost my entire planting was lost last year when i wasn't paying attention and the seeds were drying down i ignored them because the chipmunks didn't bother them the previous year and then one day i went out to check for new pods to munch on and saw all the pods were shredded. the chipmunks got about 90% of my seeds that i was hoping to harvest and then have to give away to people who wanted to grow them. :( so this year i know to keep a closer eye on them and to hunt a bit more aggressively if anyone of the chipmunks is thinking of raiding the pea patch. also rat traps. that was how i eventually caught the miscreant. a very fat chipmunk it was too. it had spread the pea seeds all over i had peas coming up in about every garden and was eating the shoots into the fall. none of those developed seeds fast enough.

i do still have seeds from the packet you sent to me a few years ago and also enough to plant again a few times - i just have to be more vigilant this year about protecting them.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just wondering please if anyone can assist me in identifying what kind of peas these might be. The dried pods are about 3" long, with a rather distinctive scallop shape. They were tall fresh-eating peas that grew at our friends' community garden last summer. The had planted two kinds I believe: a snap pea, and a snow pea-- but they did not make a note of the names of the cultivars. I found the spent vines all piled up at the end of the season, and collected as many pods as I could for seed saving to grow again this year. Figuring out the variety would really put a smile on my face. ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_085447524.jpg
    IMG_20240223_085447524.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240223_085529083.jpg
    IMG_20240223_085529083.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: