Those of you with extra freezers

JoanneNC

Sprout
Reaction score
I am planing on a bigger garden this year and in turn need a bigger freezer. Those of you who have extra freezers , where do you put them? I have a spare room in the house but would not get it through the door. Had thought about my shed but it gets hot in there in the summer.

Any ideas!!
Thanks
JoanneNC

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 2 in my garage. Doublecheck before doing this, though. I thought I had heard that newer freezers were not really equipped to deal with extreme temps, especially cold, which we get here in WI.

JoanneNC

Sprout
Reaction score
I will definitely check on that but how does
yours do in the summer? Here we will have
several days in the 90's normally.

JoanneNC

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Seems to do fine. Our electric bill is pretty low and we have plenty of days in the upper 80s/lower 90s. Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Modern freezers do better than old ones used to, in terms of ability to keep things frozen in hot environments. Will run you more electric bill of course than if they were in a cooler place, but still.

Could you get a smaller 2nd freezer that *would* fit thru the spare room door?

Or would the timing of your freezification schedule allow you to turn the 2nd freezer off once it is no longer needed, probably in late winter or spring (consolidate all remaining frozen stuff into the main freezer) and then freeze that summer's harvest into the main freezer until the hottest weather is past? Depends what you are freezing, but for some people, who are freezing mainly late-summer harvested stuff, it might be made to work.

My chest freezer is in the basement. Which due to humidity creates a bit of a frosting-up problem in summertime, but I just try not to open it any more than absolutely necessary, and deal with the frost as required.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll work something out,

Pat

JoanneNC

Sprout
Reaction score
I will probably have to try it in the shed as I will be having things in it year round. I live in the country with no large grocery stores near by and due to husband's failing eyesight I need to start buying in larger quantities.
Wish me luck.

Thank you for the responses.
JoanneNC

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I keep mine in the garage. If you live in the country perhaps a root cellar would work for some of your storage needs.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Other considerations would be to can your produce or dehydrate it. Freezers can fail in bad weather. I use all three methods to cover all bases.:)

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We keep ours on the sun porch. I know, it is weird. But we don't use that section of the 15x 30 ft room. Ours has a suction seal on it (you can hear it push out air and then it is hard to open for about 30 minutes after), this has really help with the electricity bill and ability to keep all frozen and cold in there.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My extra freezer is a small chest set up on a wooden pallet, under the house. Technically we have a crawl space, not a basement, but the area by the door is tall enough for the freezer lid to lift up. Plus, the temps under the house stay fairly consistent as well.