Thought I Had a Great Idea

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had this great idea. I asked my parents to bring me their halloween pumpkins for the chickens. The kids were all excited about it.

Thing is...the dumb chickens just looked at them and put their noses in the air!:rolleyes: They just don't seem to like much other than their pellets, boss, and scratch!

We were so disappointed. Had to throw them in the compost bin. :(

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:p I know, makes you wonder just how hungry they'd have to be to give up being picky!! :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so strange... I think I would leave one out there for a couple days and see if they change their minds. Mine absolutely love them- but they do have to be broken open- they won't just peck at a whole pumpkin.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try them after they've been steamed . . . and packed away in the freezer, then defrosted . . . about January.

;)

S'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut them in half and placed them on opposite ends of the run.

Digits...I'm not going through all that trouble/work. They probably still won't eat them. I don't think January will help much. They pretty much have it made here in California. :D

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Halloween Jack o'Lanterns give my backyard hens some veggies in the winter. I've got 4 that I'll bring in, steam and freeze. Other than that, they've only got kitchen scraps for treats and I consider treats important during the winter months.

Not only can I get away with giving them more "empty calories" during cold weather but the poor things spend so much time indoors during those months, they need something to do. Soon, they will have only about 8 hours each day to hang out on their sunporch. That is, if the weather isn't terrible.

Spending so much time cooped up has to be tuff on them. The light bulb stays on for a normal day but have you ever checked on what chickens are up to after they've been indoors for hours and hours? I can tell you, they are nearly catatonic.

When the snow comes or it's raining, they won't want to leave the sunporch even during the brief daylight hours for playing in the backyard. I'll have to buy some grit and a bag of scratch for them, too.

Timing my treats will give them something to look forward to. I haven't bought a clown suit yet but I'm thinking about it.

Steve ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

The light bulb stays on for a normal day but have you ever checked on what chickens are up to after they've been indoors for hours and hours? I can tell you, they are nearly catatonic.
I always worry mine are like my toddler, being bad while I'm not looking, then sitting pretty when I check in. Ha.

Latest posts