Thoughts on my Rhododendron

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always associated the leaves hanging down in winter with a lack of moisture. This article does a good job of explaining how difficult it can be for rhodos to stay hydrated when the ground in frozen solid:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
@CarolPNW : not an expert. But I love love love them. A friend had a Rhodie ranch in the Santa Cruz CA hills long ago. At one place I lived near Grants Pass OR, there were 30 rhodies there. I didn't stay but a couple years there, but I was slowly getting them all back into shape, since they were about 25 plus years old.

Thank you for the complement. Once Costco gets some in this spring, I've got to go buy some for this new place. There are only two here and they are very large and leggy.

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@CarolPNW : not an expert. But I love love love them. A friend had a Rhodie ranch in the Santa Cruz CA hills long ago. At one place I lived near Grants Pass OR, there were 30 rhodies there. I didn't stay but a couple years there, but I was slowly getting them all back into shape, since they were about 25 plus years old.

Thank you for the complement. Once Costco gets some in this spring, I've got to go buy some for this new place. There are only two here and they are very large and leggy.
I’ve never been around them til I moved to WA I was born and raised in the Bay Area and Northern Calif so I was surprised when we moved to this house and there were 12
one is an actual tree and the rest are in different sizes and colors. I’ve noticed that to they g through different stages mine can be happy one year and sad the rest. Is there a fertilzer you recommend? I usually use Oscomote but they don’t seem to flourish much lately.. my neighbor said add whatever I use on their drip line as they have shallow roots that spread

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always associated the leaves hanging down in winter with a lack of moisture. This article does a good job of explaining how difficult it can be for rhodos to stay hydrated when the ground in frozen solid:
I understand that as when it freezes here it’s crazy cold, it’s amazing they pop back Thank you for the link :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't care for Osmocote. It takes waaaay too long to dissolve. Like years sometimes. I like using a slightly stronger solution of Miracle Grow, but only after they have bloomed and are done. I sprinkle it around the drip line over the course of a week or so. I also dump coffee grounds on them. I've heard that they like epsom salts, which I bought several large bags of back in 2021. I also am weird, in that I like to pinch off the empty flower bracts.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I try to deadhead too, unless the shrub gets too tall to reach. This year I am trying cottonseed meal as a soil amendment, sprinkled under the drip line. Cotton is not a common crop in Canada, so this kind of seed meal is new to me. I also spread coffee grounds under the shrubs.

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't care for Osmocote. It takes waaaay too long to dissolve. Like years sometimes. I like using a slightly stronger solution of Miracle Grow, but only after they have bloomed and are done. I sprinkle it around the drip line over the course of a week or so. I also dump coffee grounds on them. I've heard that they like epsom salts, which I bought several large bags of back in 2021. I also am weird, in that I like to pinch off the empty flower bracts.
Thank you I have Miracle Grow and I read that about epson salt and warm water

Last edited:

CarolPNW

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
update on my rhodie:

I thought I’d share an update, today the landscaper cut the rhodie down.. it was definitely dead and the spot will be used for the Irises that grew next to it. I am always fascinated with the stumps so I saved that.

Thanks again for all the advise 🤗

84yeMcF.jpg

gjn9RRj.jpg

4s8UYl3.jpg

Latest posts