Three bean salad

steve_of_sandspoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We just finished canning 23 pints of 3 bean salad, that should keep us going for awhile. :)

July093beansalad.jpg

July093beansalad2.jpg

Steve in NC

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wowza! look at that!! so what you're saying is that every turkey order gets a can on bean salad??

:)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh no, my worst nightmare! :sick

When I was in the NAVY, 3-Bean salad was a staple. When it appeared on the chow line, you knew two things...

1. You'd been to sea for longer than 2 weeks and all the fresh stuff was gone.
3. It was going to be at least 2 more weeks before any fresh replenishments would be forthcoming.

To this day, the stuff doesn't stir my tastebuds. But you do have it aplenty, Steve. Good job!

steve_of_sandspoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Oh no, my worst nightmare! :sick

When I was in the NAVY, 3-Bean salad was a staple. When it appeared on the chow line, you knew two things...

1. You'd been to sea for longer than 2 weeks and all the fresh stuff was gone.
3. It was going to be at least 2 more weeks before any fresh replenishments would be forthcoming.

To this day, the stuff doesn't stir my tastebuds. But you do have it aplenty, Steve. Good job!
Dave, I don't remember that one from my Navy days. I must not have eaten it or just ate it and kept going. lol That was back in the days when we were bottomless pits and a plate of food went "poof - gone in 1.8 seconds". Remember???? When you could eat anything and everything and never gained a pound.

Steve :)

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When you could eat anything and everything and never gained a pound.
you're not suggesting i put down the chocolate cake are you?

hee hee hee

but "every body loves a 3 bean salad" just isnt as funny.. hee hee hee

but you totally inspired me and we had fresh green beans tonite. with bacon (ours) of course!

whooot! i love summer food!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Steve.... slap me your recipe!!! I've never made it, and whenever I try it anywhere I go, I either gag over it... or its the best ever. So far, no 3 bean salad has been inbetween.

Yours looks delicious though!!!!!!!

steve_of_sandspoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, onions. for the liquid 4 cups cider vinegar, 4 cups oil, salt, pepper to taste, 1 tablespoon sugar, tarragon. We made enough liquid to cover the beans, it was about 3 batches

We used 2 bags of kidney beans and did the bring to a boil and then let sit for an hour to soften thing. then mixed equally with the green & wax beans.

mix it all together and put in the fridge over night to blend. Next day bring the salad to a boil on the stove and put into sterilized jars, hot water bath for 15 minutes.

The spices are all to taste so whatever works for you. :)

And the first batch we canned has less kidney beans the 3rd has the most lol - I forgot that they sink to the bottom so stir it up good. :)

Steve