Thyme for spring

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With sage remember that the best tasting leaves come from the oldest wood.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Might be worth a try Canesister...
I have found rosemary to be a much more sensitive plant, and like you, have not had much luck with cuttings. A stem buried, but still left attached to the mother plant may actually work far better though..Let us know your result if you try it, as I would enjoy having a few more rosemary plants..It's one of my favorite herbs.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
With sage remember that the best tasting leaves come from the oldest wood.
Well that I didn't know!
I always just looked for the sheer volume of leaf growth to add to the pantry, never knew different parts of the plant would taste different.
Does that hold true for any other herb? I have always cut back my mint, oregano, and lemon balm, each spring. Perhaps I am doing a dis-service to my palate..:)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
bills said:
Might be worth a try Canesister...
I have found rosemary to be a much more sensitive plant, and like you, have not had much luck with cuttings. A stem buried, but still left attached to the mother plant may actually work far better though..Let us know your result if you try it, as I would enjoy having a few more rosemary plants..It's one of my favorite herbs.
Bills, I started 6 cuttings in a jar of water (nothing but clean water every other day) and I probably left them way too long. They had ROOTS when I put them in some seed starter mix. AND, I didn't know how bad that stuff was about soaking up water the first time - so my little baby rosemaries probably sat with nearly dry roots for 24hrs or so. 3 of them are doing well and I've got 3 more in a jar starting to root again. I'm hoping to pot these 6 this year and next year plant them along a 'new' picket fence in the back. I've got 3 good sized plants along the edge of my porch and I'd like to try the 'stick-in-the-mud' method to spread these across the bed until they become a nice thick hedge.
They haven't been hard to root - and hopefully I'll be able to plant the next bunch without trauma. If this works, I'll have these things all over the yard - LOVE the way they smell!!!!!!!

Latest posts