Time to make da 'mater juice !!!!

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Probly the easiest thing to make from the garden
Run the maters thur the strainer,warm it up while ya prep the jars. Pour it in with 1/4 teaspoon o' salt and cook 'em fer 10 minutes....... DEEEEELICIOUS !!!!!

Picture006.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

MMmmm...now if only i drank beer. What a wonderfull mix.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomato juice and beer? I dunno about that...How about tomato juice, a dash of Worcestershire, a shot of hot pepper-flavored vodka and a sprinkle of Old Bay?

MrsCountryChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to canning... but if you blanched the tomatoes in hot water & removed the skins, Then ran thru your 'juicer' (the one in your 2nd pic) couldn't you take the 'pulp' that comes from juicing & cook to make a little tomato paste? Cuz you'd be using the really meaty part of the tomato.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Tomato juice and beer? I dunno about that...How about tomato juice, a dash of Worcestershire, a shot of hot pepper-flavored vodka and a sprinkle of Old Bay?
C'mon Rosa, don't knock it now till ye try it. I like mine 'bout 50/50. It truely tates beter than it sounds.
Also, if yer a beer drinker,mixin the two towards the end o' the night, absolutely eiminates any hangover the next day.
Give it a try.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MrsCountryChick said:
I'm pretty new to canning... but if you blanched the tomatoes in hot water & removed the skins, Then ran thru your 'juicer' (the one in your 2nd pic) couldn't you take the 'pulp' that comes from juicing & cook to make a little tomato paste? Cuz you'd be using the really meaty part of the tomato.
It isn't a "juicer" it is a strainer. Look up Victorio Strainer.
As for blanching. There is no need with this machine. It completely eliminates all need for blanching. It separates the pulp and juice from the skin and seeds and does a very good job at it.
This machine will do many other fruits and veggies for canning with optional screen cones. You can even buy an optional motor fo it.
BIG CON..they are expensive. 'bout $65.00. But well made and will be passed on to yer family if ya take good care of it.
If yer gonna continue to can, especialy tomato stuff, I highly suggest the investment in one. It is a seriously overlooked tool for canning.

MrsCountryChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My Mom has had one like yours for yrs. As a kid we always helped her use hers for tomatoes. It's just been awhile since I'd seen it in 'action' & thought maybe it left some tomato 'meat' in with the skins & seeds. Like a juicer does (atleast mine anyway)--- it's similar to a Ronco juicer for making just juice without pulp. I've never used it for tomatoes tho. & would've borrowed Mom's seperating machine like yours...But my tomatoes didn't do much at all this yr. :/ We had enough for sandwich slices & tomato sandwiches & Linguini a few times, but nothing enough for can :(

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MrsCountryChick said:
Thanks for the info. My Mom has had one like yours for yrs. As a kid we always helped her use hers for tomatoes. It's just been awhile since I'd seen it in 'action' & thought maybe it left some tomato 'meat' in with the skins & seeds. Like a juicer does (atleast mine anyway)--- it's similar to a Ronco juicer for making just juice without pulp. I've never used it for tomatoes tho. & would've borrowed Mom's seperating machine like yours...But my tomatoes didn't do much at all this yr. :/ We had enough for sandwich slices & tomato sandwiches & Linguini a few times, but nothing enough for can :(
Cool Mrs. CC,you allready got one in the family :D
Only tip i can give ya on the strainer is to allways run yer "waste" back thru coz a lot more juice will come out of it.
I sure wish ya was closer so we could share our'maters with ya. God has certainly blessed Janet and I with a bountifull harvest this year and i jist heard on the radio that there is much more hot weather comin our way. Looks like lots more maters and peppers. Not to mention that our corn jist needs abouta onnnnne more week o' good hot warmth.
HE truely does povide. :weee

I LOVE YER AVATAR !!!!

MrsCountryChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yea I think that's what my cat sees in the mirror.... the way he struts to my Rottie like he's the boss :lol: & sometimes when my dog walks by the couch or bed while my cat's on it he'll swat at him like it's His space & the dog shouldn't walk nearby. Silly cat :lol:

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What kind of beer are we talking about here? I have home-brewed weizen, Guinness, and I think there's some Harpoon IPA stashed in the back of the dry sink. Will any of those work?

If you're mixing it with Bud Lite, I probably can save some dishwater...:D

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MrsCountryChick said:
Yea I think that's what my cat sees in the mirror.... the way he struts to my Rottie like he's the boss :lol: & sometimes when my dog walks by the couch or bed while my cat's on it he'll swat at him like it's His space & the dog shouldn't walk nearby. Silly cat :lol:
Ok Mrs. CC.."hold da phone","ima tell ya what",as my 3 y/o grambaby would say.
Gotta tell a story.
You got rottie(s?) and a Mewe.
So do/did we until recently.
Oh yeah, this is a Mewe
Picture031Small2.jpg

When in first saw that same pic ( yer avatar) somewhere I immediately sent it to our son Mike serving overseas. Mewe was his cat that he had grown up with. i had given Mike Mewe when he was 'bout 5 er 6 and he is now 22.
Anywho, i sent him that same pic and said don't worry 'bout Mewe. Not only is he ok but he stll has high hopes. LOL
Our Mewe had jist the opposite attitude concerning bravery. As can be seen in the pic of him about to scratch thru the glass to git away from the chickens :lol:
As for our Rotties or Sheppard and Mewe, they were ALL buds with Mewe.Mewe could and would snuggle right in with anyone of them for a nap or to jist hang out.
'bout 2 weeks ago we lost Mewe. He came home showing the effects of bein poisoned and he died quite rapidly. I haven't yet told Mike coz he'll be home on leave in 17 days and i'd rather tell him in person.
So, yer avatar will allways put a smile in my heart when i think of Mewe. Even tho he was never a real cat..he allways had high hopes. :weight
Jim

Latest posts