timmothy hay on garden? Update problem solved post #10 pic

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought a bale of timmothy hay for our rabbits, to suppliment the feed we give them. Our DD has been giving them some everyday. Today DD asks me to pick up another bale on my way home tommorow, we just bought the 80# bale 3 weeks ago. I went out to check and there is about 18" layer of hay under the cages, they waste way more than they eat. So question #1 is, how do we keep them from wasting all hay? #2 do you think it will be OK to put the hay on the garden spot. The stems and heads are still green/dry. The reason i ask is do you think that the hay being cut still green that the seeds wont sprout , or do you think that I will have a garden full of tim grass? If so I will just put it on the compost pile. All thoughts and ideas are welcome!

P.S we only have 5 rabbits at this time so thats alot of hay.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I'd risk putting it on the garden since it's a perennial grass (if it got started, you'd be stuck with it!) If you can get your compost hot, you should be ok to put it there.

Maybe you could make a hay net or something to slow the bunnies down on wasting it? It would probably have to be wire (since they can chew through anything). It's been a long time since I had rabbits, so I am just brainstorming. :hu

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, so I am not chancing it. Now to figure out how to stop them from wasting so much of it. maybe make something out of chicken wire Hmmm.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They make hay mangers for rabbits that keep them from pulling the hay out easily. They mount to the side of the cage. If you don't want to buy one you can go look at one at the feed store or pet shop and make your own using it for a pattern.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
They make hay mangers for rabbits that keep them from pulling the hay out easily. They mount to the side of the cage. If you don't want to buy one you can go look at one at the feed store or pet shop and make your own using it for a pattern.
I like that idea! A thrifty little hay holder made of metal wire. Its always best to go get a look at the ones they charge for at the store... then make it from scratch at home. :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It would probably be best to compost it. If you have enough rabbit manure and urine mixed with it you should be able to generate enough heat in your compost to kill most of the seeds.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I put the waste hay from my goats pens straight onto the garden and havent had a problem. It's not timothy though it's star grass.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I put bermuda and alfalfa hay on my garden as mulch, even though the goats have feeders, they waste about a fourth of their hay...they pull out a huge mouthful, and rather than chewing it in the feeder, they walk around chewing it, and drop bits everywhere. :rolleyes:

It does end up growing. I get a nice lawn of bermuda between my rows. But, since grass does not grow here naturally, I just try to sort of control it, and clip it when it gets tall, and feed it to my chickens. It works well for me, the pathways are nicely carpeted so they don't get muddy and slick, and the chickens get free salad. It is really invasive though if you don't stay on top of it, I lost about 2 feet of one row to bermuda that got so thick it is impossible to dig it all out now.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all have helped me to decide that we will not be putting the hay on the garden. Gonna just put it in the compost heap. I have looked up rabbit hay mangers online, seems easy to make some out of welded wire fencing that we have around here. That should cut down on wasted hay considerably. Thank you all for your input it is very helpful.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found mangers similar to this on the internet. Only took around an hour to cut 2x3" welded wire bend and mount 5 of them in the cages. Can already tell that they are going to save $$'s in hay cost thanks for the tips.
Here is a pic of one.

7254_005.jpg