Tips to prevent dampening off with seedlings

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been trying to germinate seeds this years and having problems. So I've been researching and found some tips on prevent dampening off. So I wanted to share. Aparently, chamomile tea can be used to prevent dampening off. I think I'm going to try that.

Here's a link:

http://gardengal.net/page80.html

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Best two ways I know to prevent damping off, to the point where I have had Zero damping-off since I started doing both of 'em, is to wash your containers REAL THOROUGHLY before using and let them dry in direct sunlight for a day or two; and make sure there is good air movement around the seedlings, even though yes that means you will have to water/mist more often. (So, do NOT close them into a bag or 'greenhouse' type lid.

Of the two things, I think the second is where the most people get into trouble.

The chamomile tea thing is interesting - if I ever did have a surprise bout of damping-off I would be inclined to try it.

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, jmk!

Surface moisture can be part of the problem. Here's something on damping-off from the University of Minnesota, Extension:

"As the seedlings continue to grow, moisture at the soil surface can be decreased, and the damping-off fungi then will have less of an advantage. When watering, thoroughly saturate the soil and then apply no more water until soil approaches the point at which plants wilt. This procedure will keep surface soil dry for a maximum time."

Please note the word "approaches" - it isn't a good idea for plants to ever actually wilt but continuously damp suface soil may lead to . . . damping-off.

Steve

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had dapening off problems for the first time ever this year. It was very aggravating, because I had great little tomato seedlings started, but after I potted them up, they began to wither and die.

I'm pretty sure the potting soil I used was contaminated, because it didn't smell right. My first instinct was to not use it, but it was all I had available. It was a new bag, bought a day or two prior, but it just smelled wrong. :p

It was incredibly aggravating, but I think the stinky soil wasn't the entire problem. Part of the problem was also that it was unseasonably cold. The cold was what made my tomatoes susceptible to whatever it was in the soil, because I also potted up some peppers and eggplants and they were fine. The peppers and eggplants were fine because I always grow them on a heat mat.

When my tomatoes were struggling, I read in an organic gardening book that often when a plant has a disease it isn't just the presence of the disease that is the problem, it is something else in the environment that isn't optimal that makes the plants susceptible.

I would recommend seedling heat mats for warm season crops, sterile soil (or as sterile as you can get), and adequate light/moisture. If you get all of those right, seeds will grow just fine.

Edited for grammar.

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Best two ways I know to prevent damping off, to the point where I have had Zero damping-off since I started doing both of 'em, is to wash your containers REAL THOROUGHLY before using and let them dry in direct sunlight for a day or two; and make sure there is good air movement around the seedlings, even though yes that means you will have to water/mist more often. (So, do NOT close them into a bag or 'greenhouse' type lid.

Pat
yeah I think that is my problem. This is the first year I'm really putting some effort into it and I keep having problems. I'm motivated to get this right so I just keep trying. The first time, the soil temp was too cold, and the second time, there was too much moisture. This time, I'm going to make sure to not close them into a lid (which is what I was doing) and see about getting a small fan for them.

I really need to get a cold frame build. But it's warming up nicely now here so soon I will be up to my ears in dirt. LOL I'm going to put in a long flower bed with bunches of annuals and some bulbs and perinnials.