Tobacco, natural pesticide?

Bettacreek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Awhile ago I was researching tobacco plants, because the ex-husband used to smoke like a chimney. I learned in my research, that tobacco can be used to make a natural pesticide, and can actually repel insects from other plants near it while it's growing. So, has anyone else ever tried either method? I do have tobacco seeds, and I'm thinking about trying it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are blooming tobacco plants, such as types of: flowering tobacco nicotiana.

HEre's some info on one from a blog you may find interesting:
http://heirloomgardener.blogspot.com/2008/09/flowering-tobacco-nicotiana.html

If you were to try growing ANY type of tobacco for gardening purposes, it should probably be these.

Nicotiana1-B.jpg

**I removed my previous statement... I'm not going to get into arguements. I know some people feel strongly about tobacco. And I for one don't have good things to say from what I have witnessed here in NC first hand! If you want me word of caution I just say "Beware"!!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was always told to keep tobacco (as well as smokers that dont wash their hands before touching) away from tomatoes. I am not the expert here, but threw it is as a caution.:idunno

Bettacreek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
There are blooming tobacco plants, such as types of: flowering tobacco nicotiana.

HEre's some info on one from a blog you may find interesting:
http://heirloomgardener.blogspot.com/2008/09/flowering-tobacco-nicotiana.html

If you were to try growing ANY type of tobacco for gardening purposes, it should probably be these.

http://www.mountainmeadowseeds.com/seeds/Nicotiana1-B.jpg

**I removed my previous statement... I'm not going to get into arguements. I know some people feel strongly about tobacco. And I for one don't have good things to say from what I have witnessed here in NC first hand! If you want me word of caution I just say "Beware"!!!
Can you let me know what you wrote? You can pm me. I don't get offended, I just want to know if it's something that I should be wary of. I have yellow orinoco and Louisiana perque, which would be a non-ornamental type. If there's something that I need to be wary of, I'd like to know it. Thanks!

4GB - I know that the tobacco plants are susceptible to the same things that tomatoes are, even the hornworm. I wonder if the reasoning behind it is so that diseases aren't spread.

Boggy - do you have any further information on it? Do you know if they were making a liquid, and if so, the strength? Thanks!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tobacco spreads tobacco mosaic virus to tomatoes, potatoes, anything in that family.
That is why, if you smoke, you should always wash your hands very, very well before touching tomatoes.

Bettacreek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Eww. Thanks for that. Now I know that I won't be using it. :/ Darn.

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you grow your own tobacco it would be feasible to use it as a natural pesticide. Just don't use any infected plants. Infected plants will have an obvious mosaic.

I don't recommend anyone use commercially produced tobacco for pesticide treatment on any of the solanacea plants.

Interestingly enough the compound that makes tobacco a good pesticide is nicotine.

Latest posts