Today's sun set/rise around the world

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am out the door heading to bus barn just before sunrise and noticed the sliver moon and planets. Very beautiful.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw that and tried to get a picture of it, but my camera isn't good at dark sky shots. You have to look hard to see the moon and the planets weren't very visible. But it was pretty to see with my eyes this morning!

My cameras version:

DSCN3157.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little lost in my screen dust.

How about a painting, @thistlebloom ?

Here is what it should look like tomorrow morning. I think that there isn't much chance for me to see it - a hurricane is coming!

Scroll about half way down the page:

EarthSky Link

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nicely captured, 'Red!

The clouds only showed up here with the afternoon winds! I was out at 4am and looking off to the east. "Okay, there are the planets, where's the moon?? Oh there it is!"

It took me a few seconds to realize that I was looking at a burned out street light, down the road. Shoot. The moon was closer to the sun and up nicely by 5:30.

Street lights ... The nearest one is across from the neighbor with the motion detection light on his front porch! Car drives by under that light ... his light comes on. In fact, I think it may see me when I walk down my driveway - dang thing always seems to be on when I'm out there.

Winds and tree movement have kept the light on the next door neighbor's garage, since sundown. Turn around on the driveway and walk into my backyard, that thing blinds me! In fact it's shining in my kitchen window right now.

I can't see the eastern sky from the backyard well because of trees. Try to see the eastern horizon and I'm blinded by the neighbor's carport light, 2 doors down. It's on 24 hours a day.

Combined with light reflected back from the sky and blinded by nearby electric lights, I'm lucky to be able to see anything, out at night o_O.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was up to see the sun rise this morning. After last night's showy display, the sunrise was disappointing. One moment I was looking at the thin trace of moon, then it disappeared into the morning light as the cloudless sky gradually lightened without fanfare.

Latest posts