Tofu!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've always avoided tofu because it goes through so many chemical processes that I didn't trust it but your homemade tofu eliminates that problem. No harsh (and poisonous) chemicals used in the processing. Thanks for the info.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
tofu3002.jpg

peasant's lunch

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
I have trouble getting past the "toe" part.....It ALWAYS makes me, immediately, think of toe-jam.
I'm with you boggy, toe jam yuck! The next posts with the toefood started to change my mind a little though LOL. Thanks steve for trying to broaden my culinary horizons. Lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such a range . . .

I feel a little silly trying to make a serious comment:

thistlebloom said:
digitS said: " And, feed them to your backyard flock:"
Does that mean for chickens it's "No Toe-Foo fo' yoo" unless it's cooked?
Soybeans, other types of beans, and some other things -- have compounds that are sometimes called "antinutrients. They interfere with digestion and a critter's use of its food.

Heating the soymeal neutralizes these antinutrients. The tofu is boiled so that does it for the people-food but I had to bake the soymeal a while for the chickens.

Commercial chicken feed is heated during extrusion and pelleting. It may also be pasteurized.

Steve

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks wonderful, and I enjoy making our own things, like yogurt for example. But I've just never been a tofu-kinda-person.

Anyway, just wanted to say it looks good and you've really outdone yourself this time, Steve.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great Steve....very interesting...I had NO IDEA what was involved with the process....it's wonderful to see it step by step and the peasant meal looked mouth watering..... How long can it be stored...and where does one store it? Thanks for sharing, Rusty

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made "cheese" for the chickens, back in the days when I had lots of milk. But, I never had the desire to eat it myself. Mostly, I just used rennet to "squeeze" the whey out of the milk. I eat yogurt for breakfast quite often but have trouble believing that I'd be very successful making it.

Dad and I used to make beer :p. I had to leave the bucket and carboy at Dad's place because, whenever I brought them home - FAIL!

I have tried wine, pickles, sauerkraut, even pastrami . . . fail, fail, fail, and fail. For these things, like opera, I may not have enuf kultur. Wasting resources with repeated experiments also runs against the grain. Now, about that 4 pound beef brisket . . . :rolleyes:

Three cups of soybeans makes less than 2 cups of tofu so storing it isn't a problem. The dishtowel was just gathered around the curd and it was hung from a string above the sink for a few hours. When it came out of that dishtowel, the ball of tofu had a nice firm texture. It could have been used immediately.

In the interest of "recession-proofing" our homes . . . just a little . . . here is a thread from almost 2 years ago:

Think you might need a cup of recession-proof coffee?

Steve's digits

Latest posts