Toilet Paper Roll Seed Planting Method

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
allabout said:
obsessed, you were reading my mind on this planting they are doing...hehe!!

Question Beav.- I had all my saved toilet paper and paper towel rolls already cut to size and stacked up on my kitchen counter...until my oldest son came in and knocked over a glass of water and the rolls got wet. Well, this morning all the tp rolls were unglued (paper towel ones where on top and didn't get wet)... just popped open pieces of cardboard. Now maybe I did miss something in your steps somewere but are you having any problems with tp rolls when they get wet? I would have been steaming mad if they had came unrolled with my potting mix and seed in them... please help me before I encounter the problem.

Maybe I just got some cheap toilet paper rolls...(laughing, shaking head) made in China, no doubt.
LOL

I'm doing this inside, and this is where my plants will stay until I can move them out. Target date is March 15th. Right now everything is no more then tiny sprouts. Most my seed packets say I can start them inside between 8-12 weeks before transplanting to harden off or planting outside. Even if I'm a week or 2 ahead I'm hoping they are ok in the house for the time being.

I've crammed the papertowel rolls together in a container so everything seems fine.... I guess once you get them packed with soil and up against each other they hold well!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do have two that have started to come apart a bit, but since they are packed together tightly, I don't think its going to be an issue.

Plus, as the roots grow out more, it will hold onto the peat moss/soil better come transplant time.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I run an afterschool group, and try to have activities where the girls recycle things and learn practical skills. I just started saving my tp rolls so that I can have enough to do this in the spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok just moved some stuff around, planted more, and changed my set up. I'm getting one more light and a couple more trays this week.

I really liked the 'Burpee' seed starter with self waterer I found. It comes with everything to do 72 seeds for $19. Decided to pick it up and try it out!

plants6.jpg

plants7.jpg

plants8.jpg

I planted in the burpee yesterday:
More Larkspur
Lobelia (Blue)
Blue Flax
Black Eyed Susan
Yellow Cone Flower
Morning Glory
Shasta Daisy
Columbine
Green Peppers
Night Lily
and more lavender foxglove

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
*Sunflower*Girl* said:
he he! :D I got me 2 growing right now. I would have more if i had more than 1 thing of toilet paper. :happy_flower
LOL!