Toilet Paper Roll Seed Planting Method

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, here's my update:

Moved them out to the greenhouse and I can see one little lettuce poking through the ground (planted 12/26)

P1010288-1.jpg

Expansion is imminent:

P1010289.jpg

P1010290.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow the greenhouse looks AWESOME!

I've actually started a second round of planting today. So I have 2 more sets of seeds sown, and I transplanted 12 more seedlings into TP rolls too. This is from a picture I took last night of plants I've had going since 12/16.

You can see my leafless hibiscus my cat ate yesterday, (I pray comes back) and there is also some white petunias that self sowed and I rescued the seedlings before last frost... they are doing wonderfully. The TP roll tubes have Lacy Phecia (sp?), Black eyed susans, Lobelia mixed cascade and blue and 4 Easter Lilies I'm hoping to have in time for Easter gifts!

I'll photo the second/third sets when the sprouts come up.

TPRollplants.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Keep the seedling updates coming. I like this idea. I usually use those plastic 6-packs and I would love to get away from using them. So, I'd particularly like to know if anyone notices any difference between the plastic 6-packs and the tp rolls. I would suspect they probably work comparably. But it would be interesting to know if there are any difference in how often you have to water or anything else.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use moss to plant my seeds in... I'm watering in the plastic container I put the TP rolls in. When the TP rolls get dry toward the top I water again. The moss holds moisture very well so I don't have to water too often, and I can water directly into the plastic bowl so the get wet from the bottom. Great for seeds you shouldn't cover.

I do like my jiffy container too though.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have some sprouts as well. I have some lettuce popping out as well as a zucchini I think. It seems like the paper rolls and dixie cups are retaining their moisture very well. Those store made planters I have seem to dry out more quickly. I have been spraying with a water bottle whenever I notice them dry on top. I cant believe how fast these are growing. What am I going t do with them? I guess I better get started on a green house. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have some sprouts as well. I have some lettuce popping out as well as a zucchini I think. It seems like the paper rolls and dixie cups are retaining their moisture very well. Those store made planters I have seem to dry out more quickly. I have been spraying with a water bottle whenever I notice them dry on top. I cant believe how fast these are growing. What am I going t do with them? I guess I better get started on a green house. ;)
LOL

:watering

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am confused. It is barely january. What type of seeds are you guys planting. Is for cool season crop Like brocoli or are you guys getting ready for summer season crops like beans?
I am confused. I knew I should be planting....dang

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I am confused. It is barely january. What type of seeds are you guys planting. Is for cool season crop Like brocoli or are you guys getting ready for summer season crops like beans?
I am confused. I knew I should be planting....dang
I'm in Southern California

My dormant season is like twenty days....

No rest for the weary down here......

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
obsessed, you were reading my mind on this planting they are doing...hehe!!

Question Beav.- I had all my saved toilet paper and paper towel rolls already cut to size and stacked up on my kitchen counter...until my oldest son came in and knocked over a glass of water and the rolls got wet. Well, this morning all the tp rolls were unglued (paper towel ones where on top and didn't get wet)... just popped open pieces of cardboard. Now maybe I did miss something in your steps somewere but are you having any problems with tp rolls when they get wet? I would have been steaming mad if they had came unrolled with my potting mix and seed in them... please help me before I encounter the problem.

Maybe I just got some cheap toilet paper rolls...(laughing, shaking head) made in China, no doubt.