Tomato Basil Biscuits

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They look wonderful! I have a bunch of dried tomato powder too... And I love basil. I have never used self-rising flour, but I guess it must have yeast already in it?? Thanks for sharing that!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lesa, it has baking soda and baking powder in the flour, not yeast. I think it's mostly for quick breads. I used it because I was out of baking powder, and didn't feel like running to the store. You could add the tomato powder and herbs to any biscuit recipe.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Could you use fresh tomatoes ?
The Mama Chicken said:
I made these for dinner tonight and they turned out so well that I just had to share. I used tomato powder that I made from some dried cherry tomatoes and basil that I dried. I put the recipe on my blog for anyone who wants it.

http://mamachickensays.blogspot.com/2012/08/biscuits-for-baking-dummies.html
You'd have to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe ( a little less, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are), but it might work. Why don't you try it Cat, and let us know how it turns out?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that is true... but that recipe sounds like a winner. Maybe I will look up how much of those ingredients to add to regular flour- to make it self-rising.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Hold on. I forgot to ask. How do you make tomato powder?
That's easy, you just put some dried tomatoes in the food processor and pulse until you have powder. A blender would work, as would a mortar and pestle if you're feeling old school. :)

Latest posts