Tomato gurus I'm desperate

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I seem to having a heck of a time with my tomatoes this year.

Quick runs down
I have jellybean grapes, romas, early girl and rutgers.
I planted in a new spot this year. It was where I parked my round bales last year
Our weather is crazy hot and humid. I'm hit by a "wall of water" when I go out the door.
I fertilized at planting with an all purpose and have hit them again not to long ago
The plants are stunted and all are affected to some degree

I took some pics sorry about the quality
tomatoes003.jpg

tomatoes002.jpg

tomatoes001.jpg

I was worried that it might be Vert wilt but I thought I might see what everyone thinks. I sure hope I don't lose these. I planted about 60 plants and now worry that I won't be getting any toms for pasta sauce.

Thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm having the same issues... and many others are as well. Check your cucumbers and squash near by for a powdery white mildew. This is definitely fungal, so start ripping out back leaves and start treating. Bad news is, there is a huge break out of blight again this year... and if that is what this is, you are probably too late.

Do not burn your bad plants or their leaves, Do not put in the compost, Do not put out for compost collection.... bag it and throw it away like any regular trash. You want to stop the spores from spreading to new soil or into the air!!!!

:(

I would like some cleared photos... does you camera have a 'micro' setting by chance under the manual or custom option???

I'm really unsure of the latter of the two diseases yet.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My cukes, zukes and squash are doing great. The look wonderful and I've been picking 10-12 nice picklers every morning. This is the first year I'll be getting and zukes and squash. I moved them really far from their original spot since I had probs in the past.

I have some scalloped squash at the end of the tomato rows, the zukes sit about 10 feet on one side of them and the cukes are about 10 feet on the other side.

I've added some more pics in my photobucket. I just put the link instead of adding more pics here. Hopefully they are clear enough. This is my sons camera so I'm not really sure of all the settings, but it's not a fancy one. I only paid $79 for it.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/showme31/

I'm willing to try a late start just to get some tomatoes, if I can get any plants. All the plants in the veg/flower gardens were started here in my greenhouse. Nothing was brought in from an outside grower.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am really not alarmed by the way the plant looks and I can't really make out the leave pictures...The tomatoes look good- do you see any spots on the fruit itself? I would recommend removing any suspicious looking leaves (following vfem's direction). Then I would remove the lower leaves of the plant and mulch around them. Much of the blight bounces up from the soil during rain. Not all- not much you can do about airborne blight. Worst case scenario bring those tomatoes in to ripen.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys might find this site helpful:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02949.html

Good site with pics of common tomato problems and their causes.

If this were my plant, I would trim off all affected leaves, remove the grass and weed growth under the plant and mulch well with good and clean hay or straw. Any suckers would be taken off and I'd make sure the plant had adequate and consistent water at the base, not hosed or sprinkler onto leaves and stalk.

I'd also sprinkle some epsom salts near the base.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping in the next couple of days to get all the suggestions done, as we are getting a break from the unbearable heat and humidity. I've been watching CL for straw. I see a lot of hay, but worry that weeds may be more of a problem with that.

Usually weeds aren't a prob, but with all this heat I can't be outside for more than a few minutes or it sets off my migraines. In between the plants gets tilled by hubby with one of those small cultivator tiller things.

Funny how gardens are, last year I was swimming in tomatoes but seemed like everything else took a hit from the weather. This year it's just the opposite. Of course this year I had a plan for the tomatoes so I might have just jinxed it. :(

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since this seems to be the problems with tomatoes thread, I'll try this one on you all:

I have been raising tomatoes all my life and in this garden for 4 years and have never had this happen before. I searched in all the usual sites for info leading to this problem and have found none.

I had all healthy, thriving tomato plants that are green, blooming, growing small fruits, but two wilted and died over night. We pulled them out and put peppers in their place.

I went out this morning to find 2 and maybe 3 plants on the opposite side of the garden from the original two plants that had wilted over night as well.

These tomatoes are not in need of water and are well-mulched. We just tied them up the other day and each day they are checked. There has been no insect predation nor any yellowing or spots on the leaves prior to this happening.

Just drooped, very wilted and dying plants. The plants all around them are thriving well.

All the sites I found showed plants that has slowly wilted and died as having succumbed to fungus but mine didn't go slowly.....one day healthy, next day withered.

I'll check at the roots for some kind of grub or cut worm thing going on but I'm seriously hoping this won't affect my whole crop.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it isn't in all the plants I'd cut my losses and remove the affected plants, roots and all. It's probably a disease that is made worse by the heat and hunidity. I had one tomato plant that started to wilt so I removed it and it doesn't seem to have spread.