Tomato Issues

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I carefully selected all of my tomatoes for salsa canning. Salsa is done and I would like to do my tomato paste canning...

Thing is, almost all of my tomatoes have "burst" open while on the vine? Others have giant holes in them with a fungus-type thing growing. I was afraid it was blight, but the leaves are still healthy...unless they're at the bottom...which are all dead.

I can take photos if that will help?

Otherwise, any ideas? I did see a stinkbug crawling on the cage and cut down all my corn which was near it, which were CRAWLING with the stupid things. NEVER seen that many stinkbugs EVER.

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So..the "holes" are caused by the stinkbugs. Sevin will be used...and they shall die.

But that doesn't explain the "bursting".

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bursting and cracking are usually water and lack of water issues. Just bring the tomatoes in and cut off the bad parts. Can with the good parts. I wouldn't poison your food this late in the season...JMHO

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Already Sevined it. You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of stink bugs that came over from the cut down corn. I'd put my hand on one tomato and wind up with 5 bugs crawling on me.

I wash each tomato with soap and water before doing anything with it, so I'm not worried about the effects of the Sevin. Can't believe I didn't notice the stink bugs before. Then again, I didn't even know what they were until a week ago.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
riverman said:
The way I read it is this report is from 1993, maybe not quite up to date!!!

That being noted, it also says most any form of ingestion is excreted from the body rather quickly. Even so I don't like to use it real close to the time I pick.

Around here I can't find 10% sevin, just 5%, When I do find the 10%, stuck on a shelf, I buy all they have!!!

THANX RICH

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure washing the sevin off helps, but it is absorbed into the fruit. And what about it being absorbed by YOUR skin when you apply it?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't spray!

Just bring em in and cut off the bad parts. I just cut the blossom rot off of them and any dings before canning. In a paste, no one cares how beautiful they are. You HAVE to be at the end of the season.

Never use Seven. That stuff is nasty.

Latest posts