Tomato leaf curl

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a few tomato plants that have leaf curl and I cannot for the life of me remember what this indicates. They have been on a well regulated watering program and a very small amount of cow manure tea since I hardened them off three weeks ago. Other than the leaves curling they look very healthy. Any suggestions on what it is and what to do about it? Thanks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they paste tomatoes? I notice my Amish paste always look a little curly compared to my other types...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you mean they're rolling up like they're trying to form a tube? Some varieties do that more than others. My Mortgage Lifters do that every year. It doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so glad you asked that, mine are doing it too, but the ones that are, are both motgage lifter and amish paste, soooooo mystery solved. :D

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been Google-ing tomato problems as I have some problems with mine (planted in the ground). They are spindely, not too many leafs and some leaves are curled.

As I understand it, some varieties just curl, no problems. Some will curl when stressed, either too much water or not enough or uneven watering. Then there is the tomato leaf curl virus.

I believe mine are stressed and unless the random thunderstorms stop, I can do nothing about it. I hope you find what yours are suffering from and are able to find a solution.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No they are not paste tomatoes. But THEY ARE MORTGAGE LIFTERS - Hmmmmm!! This is the first time I have tried this type of heirloom. I have fallen in love with three kinds of heirloom tomatoes ("German Johnson", "Brandywine", and Black Krim"). And this year for the first time I have added Mortgage Lifters to my garden. I have four tomato gardens on my property. One in each corner so that they are as far apart (about 100 yds.) as possible. This reduces the possibility of cross pollination and the pedigree can stay more pure.

I'll keep an eye on the new members of my tomato family and watch the leaf curl very closely. Thanks everyone.

riverman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Have you ruled out Aphids? I had a bad aphid problem earlier this year and almost all my tomato leaves were pretty badly curled.

Latest posts