Tomato Plant Too Leafy?

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have the most gorgeous tomato plant. Issue is, I think there may be TOO many leaves on it.

There has been a tomato on the vine growing for quite awhile...it hasn't gotten any bigger or any redder. I have oodles of blooms, but no new tomato growth.

Is there something I should be doing? I'm feeding the plants every week and watering every 2 days. They are in a 5 gallon pot.

Would photos help? I also have another plant that is pretty, but is not growing any blooms or tomatoes. It just seems to be getting taller and taller and leafier. Is this a normal process?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . perhaps, too much nitrogen?

The every week feeding may be encouraging leaves and growth but not fruit development.

Steve

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What about the blooms on the other plant? That is a sign of health right?

Why are the blooms not resulting in tomatoes?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you federalized them lately? If so, what was the name brand and what was the nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K)?

If you can get a picture that would be great.
Say one of the whole plant and one of the Fruit/ Blossoms on the plant.

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try kind of wiggling the plants/flowers, in case they are not getting visited by bees. I would hold off on the fertilizer for a couple weeks. If you have a lot of leaves growing without flowers on them, you can pinch some of them off. My guess it is a pollen issue. Hey, at least they are growing! Good luck!

Lisa A

Sprout
Reaction score
This year I trimmed all the green leaves that did not have any flowers on them and I have more tomatoes than ever!

Farmington

Sprout
Reaction score
Sounds like WAY too much fertilizer! Nitrogen is great for lush green growth, but won't give you much fruit. I fertilize every 3 to 4 weeks with GardenTone, wich is a slow release organic, depending on rainfall. Be sure to pinch off any sucker growth, so that the energy goes into fruit production.

Latest posts