Tomato soup recipe?

JanieMarie

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good tomato soup recipe to can. Its been a great year for tomatoes for me! I have tried other recipes but none were as good as what I know it could and should be. Any one out there have one that they Like? I would really appreciate any ideas anyone has on this. I love to experiment!

Thanks!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but allrecipes.com has a tomato soup recipe featured today. It got great reviews!

JanieMarie

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out. Wish I would have gotten all the tomatoes picked last nite. We got 3" of rain on a heavy clay soil! Aaaargh.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my gram doesnt can soup but its very easy to make soup from juice. Just add a little sugar, salt pepper and what other seasoning you like and heat. I make cream of tomato by adding some milk and butter before heating.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
JM--I tried this today and it's great! I made a few changes, though: 1 clove of cloves :), 2 cloves of garlic and double the sugar.

Next time, I would cut back on chicken bouillon so I wouldn't need more sugar. It was excellent!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is one tomato soup receipe I have been making for a couple of years and it's very good. It cans well. When ready to serve, I usually add cooked rice for a heartier soup. The original receipe called for 1-2 cloves of garlic , but if you like garlic, that is a silly amount....so I upped it.

2 1/2 T butter
1 med/large onion chopped
7-8 cloves garlic chopped
1 celery rib chopped
1/4 C fresh basil
1/4 to 1/2 t ground cloves
2 T flour
4-5 C pureed tomatos (I skin and chop sauce and eating tomatoes. I leave the seeds in)
Pinch baking soda
2 1/2 C veg or chicken broth
salt and freshly milled pepper
2 T tomato paste

Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery,garlic and cloves, stirring occasionally until onion is limp, about 5 min.
Stir in the flour, then add the tomatos, baking soda, stock, basil and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and partially simmer for about 1 to 2 hours. Let cool briefly then puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, thin it with a little stock.

Anne

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is one everyone raves about it on the Garden Web in the harvest forum!

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
Recipe By :Katie
12 tomatoes -- *see Note
2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion -- quartered
2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
olive oil (use very little oil!)
2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft. *Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

Cream may be added to taste when the soup is served.

Latest posts