Tomato Virus? and Flea Beetles?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Something you may want to consider also is the effect of the sunflower on that tomato.
Maybe the problem is not related, but I know for a fact that sunflowers affect potatoes negatively, (phytopthera blight ) and since tomatoes are also nightshades it may be doing enough harm to make your tomato more attractive to the insects.
Huh. Interesting.

I'd planted a bunch of stuff as companions (marigolds, nasturtiums, radishes, sunflowers), and am beginning to wonder if I'm doing myself any good. :( I have a sneaking suspicion that the radishes actually attracted the flea beetles. The marigolds are thrip-ridden. The sunflowers are near the zucchs and volunteer squash (acorns?); that particular tomato got stuck in a bare spot adjacent to a sunflower. :barnie

I went through the rest of my tomatoes and pulled any branches that looked suspect. Sprayed everything with Spinosad. Gah.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
joz said:
thistlebloom said:
Something you may want to consider also is the effect of the sunflower on that tomato.
Maybe the problem is not related, but I know for a fact that sunflowers affect potatoes negatively, (phytopthera blight ) and since tomatoes are also nightshades it may be doing enough harm to make your tomato more attractive to the insects.
Huh. Interesting.

I'd planted a bunch of stuff as companions (marigolds, nasturtiums, radishes, sunflowers), and am beginning to wonder if I'm doing myself any good. :( I have a sneaking suspicion that the radishes actually attracted the flea beetles. The marigolds are thrip-ridden. The sunflowers are near the zucchs and volunteer squash (acorns?); that particular tomato got stuck in a bare spot adjacent to a sunflower. :barnie

I went through the rest of my tomatoes and pulled any branches that looked suspect. Sprayed everything with Spinosad. Gah.
Some plants are trap plants which attracts the insect into the garden. Nasturtiums are a trap plant for aphids. Marigolds are a bug chaser but only the ones with a strong oder work. I gave up on companion planting a long time ago.

Latest posts