Tomato woes. Please Help!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some of the worst plants have what I'd compare to a rash on it's stems. Bumps really, not discolored bumps, but is this part of the problem also?
Since you say you have had a great deal of rain lately, and standing water, these could just be what would develop as roots if that part of the plant was in contact with or under ground. I don't always stake or cage some tomatos and they will form roots where they fall over and touch the soil. It can sometimes be an early signal of some root problems but is usually just the natural response to wet conditions. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of the worst plants have what I'd compare to a rash on it's stems. Bumps really, not discolored bumps, but is this part of the problem also?
If this is what I am thinking, this is completely normal. Just stem colored bumps right? Green natural color? These are actually roots the plant is attempting to grow at all random spots. Some reason tomatoes just do this. Nothing to worry about... these suckers like to GROW in ever direction, and just keep getting BIGGER, so I guess they assume they should grow more roots and latch on to more stuff in more areas.

ETA: What bid said! I totally missed his reply on the next page. Sorry Bid!

Schultz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yep! thanks ! After I read those posts thats exactly what it seems to be as I discovered a few of them actually growing little stubby roots out of them. You would think that I've never grown tomatoes before but I've grown them for about 5 years now. LOL! I've never noticed this happening before. :rolleyes: I feel like a smuck! LOL

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in Noblesville, just north of you and we have had killer storms this year!! My beds are actually 2x6x12 boxes that I built (3 of them with tomatoes) I also prune off the lower 12" or so of branches on my tomato plants so there is one main stalk for the tomatoes. Mine seem to be doing okay. I hope the straw helps dry things out for you...watch out for mold though.

Schultz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
mener6896 said:
I live in Noblesville, just north of you and we have had killer storms this year!! My beds are actually 2x6x12 boxes that I built (3 of them with tomatoes) I also prune off the lower 12" or so of branches on my tomato plants so there is one main stalk for the tomatoes. Mine seem to be doing okay. I hope the straw helps dry things out for you...watch out for mold though.
Howdy neighbor! :frow

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Schultz said:
vfem said:
You have gotten fabulous advice! Pull bad leaves, and mulch mulch mulch!!!

That pond you have forming, how quickly does it receed? If it builds up and then is gone within a few hours after the rain, building up the soil is good enough. But if that water sits much longer then that, especially over a day, you'll want to probably think of some low raised beds right there... just for protection for too much water.

BTW, my tomatoes look like that. I sprayed with Neem oil, removed the bad leaves to the trash can, and watered with some epson salt solution. Most of my plants are looking better, one or 2 are still rough, but I'll give them another solution mix and spray tomorrow.

Good luck!
The water is usually gone in a couple days in that area but I have only had this problem once this year since I have fixed a lot of problem areas in the drainage ditches in our area and on my land. We are 6" above normal in rainfall in Indiana this year. The 3rd wettest June in recorded history. :barnie

I'm going to try the epsom salt solution too. What is the mix ratio on that? I ordered some copper soap concentrate that should be here in a 1-3 days, will this do the same thing as neem oil or should I buy some.

I'm very grateful for all the great advice so far. I have been out working on the situation and came across another concern. Some of the worst plants have what I'd compare to a rash on it's stems. Bumps really, not discolored bumps, but is this part of the problem also? Should I take these branches and/or whole plants out? Again thanks to everyone for all the great advise!

ETA: Thanks for the warm welcomes too! I came here via BYC! We (the Wife and I) are very active members of that site.
Don't worry about the bumps on the stem so long as they are green. Tomatos develop them as the stem gets bigger. It's completely normal.

Gram49

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was interested to read your post yesterday. I live about 60 miles north of you near Kokomo, so I am fully aware of the rain/water problems. Fortunately none of our garden plots (3 smallish ones) are in standing water, but were temporarily flooded during the heavy rains. One of them was showing signs of the same blight you were talking about. When I went home from work yesterday we picked off the damaged leaves. Hopefully we have all avoided further damage.
Gram

Latest posts