Tomatoe blight

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it is that tomatoes get that gradually browns the leaves and vine? Mom always sprayed hers early to protect them, but her memory isn't the best anymore and she can't tell me what it is they have or what to spray with. Cuz right now I'm noticing brown specks on my newly transplanted tomatoes and they've been in the ground over 2 weeks. I sprinkle DE around them to keep the bugs off but I don't know how to treat this.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blight is a big problem with tomato. It is an airborne fungus, that will decimate your tomato plants. Usually the plants are most susceptible to getting it during cool, wet weather. You need to spray them with copper spray, which is the acceptable fungicide by organic gardeners. There are other sprays used commercially, but if you want to eat healthy, I would stay away from them. You should spray them every two weeks, starting at two week old plants. Once the weather truly warms up they should be less susceptible.

Do not compost the plants with blight. Burn, or toss in the garbage, any dead leaves, or stems. Do not plant tomato's in the same area again for at least 3-5 years.

I had my whole crop wiped out last year from it, except for two plants that were planted under the eves of my garden sheds. I began the spraying program too late.:(

I hope you have better luck!

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is there anything else you can spray your plants with to prevent other problems? I'm trying to learn more about this myself.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i just sprinkle with a light dusting of Sevin a week or 2 after planting and dont have problems. I had a friend that had this last year and till she did all the spraying she got 3 nice tomatoes that cost her about $8 each. I say if it starts just get rid of the parts that are damaged and dust. If it shows up on other plants just cut your losses and try to start over somewhere else.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carbaryl (brand name Sevin), is a broad spectrum insecticide, not a anti-fungicide, which blight is. Sevin is quite toxic, and is not recognized as in organic gardening.It is toxic to bees, fish, birds, and humans, if they happen to get some on them, which is not a good thing... here's some info on it.

http://www.greenbook.net/docs/MSDS/M47444.PDF

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
Carbaryl (brand name Sevin), is a broad spectrum insecticide, not a anti-fungicide, which blight is. Sevin is quite toxic, and is not recognized as in organic gardening.It is toxic to bees, fish, birds, and humans, if they happen to get some on them, which is not a good thing... here's some info on it.

http://www.greenbook.net/docs/MSDS/M47444.PDF
I dont have alot of experience with blight, and I dont garden organic and know what Sevin is thats why I use it sparingly. As I mentioned, my friend used all the stuff she was supposed to for blight and ended up with a few very expensive tomatoes.

blueskylen

Sprout
Reaction score
1 have been told 2 remedies for the blight over the years as follows:

1 . in the fall after the garden is cleaned up - spray the affected ground with milk and let sit all winder.

2. dig a large hole for each tomatoe, and put a potting soil and peat moss mix into the hole - so that the ground dirt does not touch the plant. Also use a mulch to keep the dirt from splashing up on the plant.

I also use a copper containing spray - copper dragon - as soon as I plant and up until picking time.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts