Tomatoe problem

ersel

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello I'm in Louisiana and am having problems with my Roma tomatoes. They look fine on the outside but have black on the inside. I've picked them fully ripe a little green and have only had one with no black stuff on the inside. Any ideas?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sometimes pests (pinworms are horrible about this) can eat into tomatoes causing breaks and holes in the skin, this allows for bacteria or fungus to get inside the tomato and spread. This may be the problem. Have you notices any holes or tunnels inside the fruits?

If you're picking them green and still having the problem then I don't think it would be because they're over ripe.

BackSwampGirl

Sprout
Reaction score
:/ Hello OaklandCityFarmer. can you tell me something to do for this problem.I am in NC,and ours have not started turning yet.But it seems every year for a while they will start a rotten on the bottom of the tomatoe.And balck spots on the inside too.But this year we have them in different place.Will lime help this problem,or do you know of anything thta will work.We are trying because we can not afford to buy many if any gro.Help!!!!!! Sandra,NC

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The best way to prevent blossom end rot, which is the problem you are describing is to keep water at a consistent level. Don't overwater or underwater. Never let the soil get soggy. Also, calcium is one the best nutrients to prevent blossom end rot and a variety of other issues with tomatoes.

Take some eggshells and crush them and add the around the base of your tomatoes. I usually do about 2-3 eggshells around each plant and sprinkle them around every 2-3 months.

Lime can help but IME it is best applied in the pre-planting phase or earlier in the season. Be careful if you do apply not to touch the plant leaves.

Good luck

ersel

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I'll try the egg shells