Tomatoes for 2024

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many of us are either buried in snow or else looking out on our soggy, flooded winter gardens-- but fear not! It's almost February, and it won't be long before tomato seedlings are popping up all over The Easy Garden. Have any of you started your tomatoes? In early January I started a few early varieties just for fun. I'm not sure whether I will grow them to maturity or not. For now I'm enjoying checking on the seedlings when I wake up each morning, because seeing them makes me smile.

Back in December I saved some seeds from tomatoes that we bought at the grocery store, so I planted a few of those as well. Of the two seedlings that emerged one has green cotyledons, and one has green cotyledons with a red stripe down the centre (see photo on right, with green tray). Just two seedlings, and already visible differences that provide hints as to their parentage. Will I try to de-hybridize this tomato? Not likely-- but I may grow the seedlings out to see what I end up with. I find this kind of thing fascinating.

What kind of new and exciting tomatoes do you hope to grow in 2024? 🍅

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_115136657.jpg
    IMG_20240125_115136657.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240125_141230916.jpg
    IMG_20240125_141230916.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 23

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh great thread!

I decided this year to venture into an area of tomatoes that I never really have before, and I'm actually a little nervous about it. I procured a lot of seeds from a generous tomato seed saver in Alberta, who grows those well adapted for her very challenging climate. A great deal of her seed was sourced from a trader in Belarus as well as Nikitovka Seeds. Everybody here loves a big, delicious beefsteak and I don't know what I'll find in this group. Early maturity tomatoes have not been my favorite (besides Moskivich ❤️ ) thus far, but I am curious about this type and what nice surprises might be hidden in there. I can only hope that they aren't as sour as I fear. I also got some seed for Oldendorf which I'm curious to try. Some long keepers (too many really). I definitely wound up with WAY more than I'll be able to plant in one season. A few are rescue missions as well. Excited!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't know why, but maybe my soil doesn't produce the super sweet tomatoes as advertised. Don't quite know Why, since I have amended pretty much all of my beds.
You climate/soil has a Lot to do with taste and tomato success. Everybody raves about Cherokee Purple, but it hasn't tasted much better at My house than Rutgerss, for instance.
Forget the black ones--family won't touch them!!
I guess that's the fun about growing tomatoes, finding the ones that do for You the best! 😍