Tomatoes in trouble?

meggers32

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here and hope you can help me. I have some beautiful cherry tomato plants that I have in containers that are doing great, but recently have developed yellow/green leaves at the bottom of the plant. They are doing great otherwise. What does that mean? Anyone?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

So, can you describe the problem a little more?

Are the leaves curling? Are they browning also?

If the leaves are just turning yellowing and not browning or not curling you may have a nutrient deficiency. When is the last time you fertilized?

Hopefully it's not a disease like blight or a wilt.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Welcome to the forum!

If the leaves are just turning yellowing and not browning or not curling you may have a nutrient deficiency. When is the last time you fertilized?

What does it mean if the leaves ARE curling?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
All of my plants are doing the same thing and every one elses are to. It's the heat and dry conditions. My plants are bearing fruit like crazy.

meggers32

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to those who replied! As far as the leaves go, it is JUST at the bottom, they are turning yellowish and then eventually turning brown. No other leaves are doing this, just the leaves at the very bottom. They plant looks very healthy everywhere else. What does blight look like? I hope it is not that. I used very good compost for the soil, it should have enough nutrients, I hope!. Is there a defense against blight if that is what it is? Thanks!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sarah_Mom2Four said:
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Welcome to the forum!

What does it mean if the leaves ARE curling?
If the leaves are curling then it could be a couple of things. Sometimes leaf curl is as simple as the ground being too wet or too dry.

Other times, when there are signs of yellowing of leaves and drying out or browning out this could be a sign of blight, wilt or another disease. Copper and/or sulfur can help keep fungal diseases at bay but for the most part will not kill the disease.

meggers32 said:
Thanks to those who replied! As far as the leaves go, it is JUST at the bottom, they are turning yellowish and then eventually turning brown. No other leaves are doing this, just the leaves at the very bottom. They plant looks very healthy everywhere else. What does blight look like? I hope it is not that. I used very good compost for the soil, it should have enough nutrients, I hope!. Is there a defense against blight if that is what it is? Thanks!
Blight looks like small brown holes, lesions or cankers eating away at leaves or fruits. Either way, if it's not watering problems then I would recommend spraying with a copper or sulfur spray every month or so depending on the severity of the problem.

Latest posts