tomatoes on livestock panel trellis

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's an update on the livestock panel tomato trellis experiment.

So far I like this much better than the round tomato cages made of concrete reinforcing wire... a good thing, because I can't find rolls of that wire *anywhere*!

I still need to mulch (both feed stores were out of straw) but it's certainly easier to weed under the trellis than the cages.

I'm using baling twine (from the bales of hay I buy for my horse) to support the tomatoes. The smaller ones don't yet reach the bottom of the trellis, so those have a string twirled around them for support. The larger ones have a string woven back and forth to hold the branches closer to the trellis.

Lots of blossoms and some small tomatoes out there, I can't wait! (The bright orange is just some plastic tape I initially used to tie them up.)

134422451.jpg
134422453.jpg

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are perfect! I like the big openings- this way the fruit will not insist on growing inside the little squares! Still a month away from planting tomatoes in the garden- nice to see yours! Enjoy!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you'll be very happy with that set up come harvest time. Those cattle panels are so nice and sturdy and the large holes make it easy to pick the fruit. I want to do mine on them this year too, but they are much pricier this year than I really want to put into them. Maybe I can buy some used!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awesome... I'm glad you were able to do these. One year when we have some good investment $$$ we may try it next. I love the idea!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Here's an update on the livestock panel tomato trellis experiment.

So far I like this much better than the round tomato cages made of concrete reinforcing wire... a good thing, because I can't find rolls of that wire *anywhere*!

I still need to mulch (both feed stores were out of straw) but it's certainly easier to weed under the trellis than the cages.

I'm using baling twine (from the bales of hay I buy for my horse) to support the tomatoes. The smaller ones don't yet reach the bottom of the trellis, so those have a string twirled around them for support. The larger ones have a string woven back and forth to hold the branches closer to the trellis.

Lots of blossoms and some small tomatoes out there, I can't wait! (The bright orange is just some plastic tape I initially used to tie them up.)
http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/image/134422451.jpg http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/image/134422453.jpg

-Wendy
that is what my husband did for years, we carefully weave the tomatoes back and forth as they grow . I always got old sheets at garage sales and made tie strips... for the stray vines.:thumbsup

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do I have to have something like taht? Can I use some sticks and twine or would it be better to have something more substantial?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
The local CSA farm does that! So for over a year I've been on the hunt for some Freecycle panels, but nothing yet. Very nice!
I've been really bummed out with my local Freecycle. I guess being rural, we're just too small of a group to have enough people online to post very many interesting things. Although I'm sure there's lots of people around here who have old cattle panels lying around!! I do better yardsale shopping here...or spring curbside pick-up. Gotta have a good eye for that one! :p

ETA:
Do I have to have something like taht? Can I use some sticks and twine or would it be better to have something more substantial?
Hmmm...now I'm wondering the same thing. I've got a lot of bamboo lying around. I tried to use them for stakes last year, but they would fall over too easily. Maybe if I set a 6' T-post on either end, then lashed the bamboo across it very well......gonna have to look into that. Gotta work with what you've got, huh!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11
Hmmm...now I'm wondering the same thing. I've got a lot of bamboo lying around. I tried to use them for stakes last year, but they would fall over too easily. Maybe if I set a 6' T-post on either end, then lashed the bamboo across it very well......gonna have to look into that. Gotta work with what you've got, huh!
Well, I did this last year, in a small way with my 8 tomatoes in the SFG. It did work well. I had 4 t-posts and split 2x4's and planted the tomatoes in the middle. I just screwed the 2x4 to the t-post in the little holes.

Found a picture of last years garden that shows it. It worked well for me.
6832_garden_016.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is that sort of like a modified teepee?

We have 15 (ACK!!) tomato plants that were started from seed and I'm trying to decide how I'm going to put them in a 4x8 bed. I realize that some of them may not even FIT in a 4x8 bed!

I'm trying to find the best way to get the most out of the space, and our budget. I know that the soil on that side isn't the best soil, so, we've been getting the bags of compost from Lowes to put in the raised beds to improve the soil, and until our own compost is ready.

What do you guys think would be a good configuration?