Tomatoes pest

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My tomatoes have been having problems this year. At first I just thought they were too wet because it has rained a ton here this spring but on closer inspection there are little holes all over the leaves I tried to pull most of the really badly affected ones off the plants. There are little beetle like bugs on the leaves with shiny gold color on their backs. Any Ideas? I was thinking about putting alittle DE or Dinamoutous Earth down on the leaves is that ok? I will not use much and there is not wind today. I think that it is probably the flea beetle.

Thanks,
Henry

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a Japanese Beetle problem. They will eat every thing in sight if not stopped. I use Sevin Dust on mine.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok thanks I am pretty sure its not japanese beetles I just identified them as flea beetles because they are small and jump off the leaf when touched.

THanks I think I will use the DE. DE is like sevin dust without most of the chemicals

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
to use the DE on your plants and get the best coverage, take a cup or 2, put in a gallon water sprayer, fill with water shake well to mix. Spray the tops and bottom of the leaves, the stems, the DE will stick to the plant and stay when it dries. Keep shaking the waterer as you spray to keep it mixed.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Could I use food grade or do I need to buy regular also?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are going to use it, I don't see a reason to use non-food grade, when food grade works. Just my opinion. :)

Latest posts