tomatoes (picture added)

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's what my dad just said. When I go out to southern states I'll by some better boys then.

What do other, non-greenhouse tomatoes, go for in your area? That's the price you'll probably have to compete with, as the greenhouse tomatoes won't be the least costly ones.
Thanks for all the help

Will basil plants be like tomato cages?

I think they go for about 1.50 - 2.00 ain't sure. The farmer that sells tomatoes and strawberries is on TV all the time.

This year it is more of a project, next year I am going to plant early.

I'll probably plant some squash to.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe you could call yours 'Sun Warmed' then, and have a picture of a sun in the upper right, beaming down at your large tomato on your sign?
Thats a good idea I'll make a sign and post a picture.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a poster I just made. The real sign will look better.

SCAN0002.jpg

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Bloody Butcher is a good early season variety that produces very well. This will get you started with tons of 4-6 ounce fruits that taste like a tomato should. Low acid content.
My neighbor was growing heirlooms from seed last year, and she gave me a Bloody Butcher seedling. I had never heard of them, and felt so funny planting it within sight of our new young sweet chickens. (Can't remember how they turned out.)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great sign!

Now you need to make 2 for me and ship them here! :lol:

Mine would have something that look like stick tomatoes, if that's possible. I didn't get the creative genes in the family.

Buff Shallots said:
My neighbor was growing heirlooms from seed last year, and she gave me a Bloody Butcher seedling. I had never heard of them, and felt so funny planting it within sight of our new young sweet chickens. (Can't remember how they turned out.)
They really are a great early tomato that's a high producer. First Pick (a French heirloom) is my personal favorite early variety just because Bloody Butcher is a smaller tomato.

Our garden is right against the chicken run, we have a PVC pipe/wire fence and they stand there for hours drooling at the plants.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, cool ChickenBoy! I like the logo: From Our Garden, To Your Table!

Excellent! :coolsun

LOL, OaklandCityFarmer, a stick tomato? That would be perfect for the farm my grandad used to tell us he had.

He was always kidding with my sister and I, and one of the things he'd say that he had, was a 20 mile long farm...that may have varied....which was only this ------> <------ wide. It was, of course, his spaghetti farm. :D

So I guess that stick tomatoes would have grown well on his spaghetti farm. ;)

He's been gone 22 years now, but those are fun memories. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Folks around here swear by the Old Germans? tomatoes. I had to plant some of them to
compete.

CB, you might want to check out the neighbors and such and just found out local favorites. You may not have business from local gardeners, as they may have their own, but you can still sell local to folks who are too ill, to elderly, to busy, etc. to grow what they used to and want to buy that familiar kind. I also sounded out about other favorite veggies for my farmstand I will have this year. Back home, half runners are king...where I live now it's Tenderettes or Blue Lake. Folks aren't so much into decorating with pumpkins here, more into eating them. So I chose a pumpkin variety that is good for both.

Also, I have found that tourist and family visitors on vacation, or coming to local festivals, often want to buy local varieties that they found "last year" in the area. Just a thought! Good luck with your enterprise....I'll be doing the same thing and it sounds like a fun way to share your garden with the world...one customer at a time! :tools

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed,

Someone gave me a couple of tomato plants this year. They are labeled simply as, 'German.' I've no idea what it really is, as they don't know, but we're going to find out!

I don't want to hijack ChickenBoy's thread, so maybe later we can start a new one, and compare what your German tomatoes look like compared to mine! :)

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just got back from the plant store, I bought big boy tomatoes, some heirloom tomatoes, squash, and cantaloupe.

Latest posts