Tomatoes

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They have exploded since I planted and now I'm afraid I've planted them too close together - especially in the back.

gardenpics024.jpg

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No big deal.I'd stake them and tie them up as best as I could.I sure wouldn't pull any of them up unless I were going to plant them somewhere else.

Live and learn.It ain't the end of the world.

Andy J

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always had problems with the plants falling over when I used tomato cages, Joan. Therefore, I'd put 3 stakes to hold the cages. After doing this for a few years, I just used the stakes with twine around some of the plants.

I've also used single stakes but they required considerable pounding to get them deep enuf. Cable ties made tying up quicker . . .

Finally, I decided that I had plenty of room, little problem with mud spattering and I just went for a sprawl . . . Not the best way, but 60+ plants meant lots of tying thru the season for me.

Steve

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, I do have a few tomato cages, although they are hard to see in the picture - they are very old and rickety - a neighbor gave me a few. I'm also using wood stakes and a couple of t-posts and twine for tying them up. 60+ plants are a lot of tying!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use the stakes as well but I tie them with knee highs or pieces of pantyhose.
They are quick and easy to tie, they hold tight and don't squeeze a growing stem.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to use pantyhose on the tomato plants when I was growing up - six girls in the house. :p I haven't worn pantyhose in ten years - I don't have to "dress" for work - thank goodness!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tomatoes stand up to crowding better than most plants but you might want to trim some of the side branches and watch carefully for pests. They can hide easier in crowded plants.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I crowd mine as well. Bear fine, just hard (for me impossible) to see tomato worms. cages have been a waste of money for me. Tried stakes/baling twine--didn't like it. So this year I've got a bunch of posts, will tie some to posts. I also use straw so that they don't rot from dirt.

Tomatoes are very resilent.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I crowd mine as well. Bear fine, just hard (for me impossible) to see tomato worms. cages have been a waste of money for me. Tried stakes/baling twine--didn't like it. So this year I've got a bunch of posts, will tie some to posts. I also use straw so that they don't rot from dirt.

Tomatoes are very resilent.
You may want to check my post on reusable tomato cages. They are inexpensive when you consider how many years they last.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28426

Latest posts