Too Big Cucmbers

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello,
My neighbor just brought me about 25 pounds of cucumbers, most of which are very big to make pickles or whatever with. She had been gone a few days and was overrun with them. So she shared. Do you have any ideas for how I can use the ones that have great big seeds? I guess I can just seed them and use the crispy part to pickle. Any help would be appreciated.

Carol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could scoop out the big seeds and make pickle relish with the rest.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
pickel relish sounds good. I had not thought of that. Now the hunt for the perfect recipe. Thanks. But if anyone can think of mroe, keep them coming. I've got a lot of cucumbers.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I cut my overgrown cukes in half lengthwise and feed them to the chickens, they love the seeds... :)

epeavey1

Sprout
Reaction score
herbsherbsflowers said:
Hello,
My neighbor just brought me about 25 pounds of cucumbers, most of which are very big to make pickles or whatever with. She had been gone a few days and was overrun with them. So she shared. Do you have any ideas for how I can use the ones that have great big seeds? I guess I can just seed them and use the crispy part to pickle. Any help would be appreciated.

Carol
The chickens will love to eat the seeds and my goats and one donkey Buford will eat the peelings and the rest I would make into pickles sweet and sour and bread and butter. I have only four plants two very big ones have already out grown the tomato cage I put over it, so I already have five jars and more too come. So my friend on line has started calling me the Cucumber Queen because I'm getting so many and she is getting so few the weather here in north east Georgia is very Hot, the tomato's are doing as good. Any suggestions as what to use to help them grow still very small? I have them in raised beds any help getting them bigger would be appreciated !!:p

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If they are that large they will probably have a tough skin and need to be peeled. I slice a lot of the large ones lengthwise and keep them in a bowl of vinegar, salt and a touch of sugar for casual nibbling when I feel like it or salads. You can add a bit of water if the vinegar is too strong for you. I just keep adding to the bowl whenever I find a cuke that has been hiding and gotten too big.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey beat me to the answer. PICKLE RELISH. :lol:
I will see if I can locate my friends relish recipe. It is good and makes a large batch.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made two kinds of relish today. I am tired. One was sweet, Cucumber Carrot Relish and also ad dill pickle relish. I've been chopping and soaking and hot water bathing all day. I'm tired. I'm planning on doing one more kind tomorrow, Three Pepper Chipotle Relish. It's in a magazine about preserving food that I saw at the grocery store today. The first two taste pretty good. I always seem to have a half jar that just goes in the refrigerator. I've got 5 pints, 8 half pints and 4 quarter pints. If anyone is interested, I'll post the recipes.
Carol