Too much clay...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I owned a horse ranch, I used the horse manure on an acre of grounds around our home in C. Cal. . There were 6 types of clay soils washed down by erosion from the Sierra Nevada Mountains in swaths and swirls . I would spread 6" thick horse manure right from the barn by the wheelbarrow fulls ( NOT composted-from 20-30 horses depending on number of foals and horses sold and outside mares in for breeding) and in garden, flower beds and around 90 redwood tree and 10 beefwood seedlings, 3-5 times per year and tilled into the clay soils on areas to be planted and after 3 years that whole area has become very pliable and loose soil and very fertile. The rest of the manure out of the barn went directly onto the pasture daily year round spread about 3-4" thick. With the arrival of winter rains in late Nov. the grass in the manured areas grows 2 x faster and ends up about a foot + taller than the untreated areas. :caf

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah you can often tell where a cow or horse dropped a load in a pasture field by how bright green and taller the grass is a few weeks later. A cow patty especially may look like it has smothered the grass at that spot for a while, but just give it a little time. Rain does help, but it looks like bright green islands in a sea of brown grass in late summer if it has been mostly dry.

Latest posts