Tornadoes . . .

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It was a day to scratch each nerve yesterday in Tennessee. We were under a watch all day and warning several times during the day. One tornado hit about 20 miles south of us with no fatalities, thank God, but lots of houses destroyed. We had been warned that the weather setup was similar to 1974 which killed more than a dozen in a three county area here. Also, in Harvest, AL one hit behind my husband's house in almost the same place it hit 10 months ago. We don't think there was any damage this time, only had fence down last time with a few shingles gone. We are feeling might lucky today.

The story of the little girl found is a reminder of here in 74. There were two incidents of children being set down by the wind beyond where their parents were found dead and they survived with only broken bones. The distance in the Indiana story is a lot more though. Miracles happen!!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Isn't this unusually early? I thought tornadoes didn't happen till April? I'm lucky I've only been hit with a couple tornado warnings, one while I was in Ohio back in 79 I think. One other time I was in DC in the summer when I sudden thunderstorm went through, wicked, wicked winds. Dust hit like gravel. We hid behind the Lincoln statue till it was over. Never did find out if it was a tornado or just straight line winds, as they say.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I was watching the Today show yesterday morning they were discussing why there was such a big outbreak so early. They were saying that because it has been such a mild winter there is no snow on the ground. The snow that would typically be on the ground would have prevented the tornadoes from forming in many of the areas.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I understand the snow would have helped cool the air so not such a contrast in temperatures. Of course, here in TN and AL, we don't have that much snow. But, it there had been some in the usual areas maybe it would have cooled it down enough. After being 80 on Friday before the storms we will have 20's tonight with some light snow. WILD winter!!!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Had no idea it has hit 80 in TN. I knew it was hot further south, but yeah, it's been a weird winter.

Latest posts