Tow-Behind Spreaders Recommendations

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So the atv probably can pull twice what the mower can, I mean safely for the transmission. It should have a rating on it somewhere. Where mowers sort of pull as much as a rider in addition. My JD 130 uses the same 150lb of torque tranny many mowers use. Kind of wimpy. This chart shows higher rolling weight for the atv. Thats good though if you get a volume if stuff in a spreader, so you do not have to reload as often. That could be a pretty big spreader actually.
Comparing-ATV-towing-capacity-chart.png

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So the atv probably can pull twice what the mower can, I mean safely for the transmission. It should have a rating on it somewhere. Where mowers sort of pull as much as a rider in addition. My JD 130 uses the same 150lb of torque tranny many mowers use. Kind of wimpy. This chart shows higher rolling weight for the atv. Thats good though if you get a volume if stuff in a spreader, so you do not have to reload as often. That could be a pretty big spreader actually.View attachment 40139
I'm at the bottom of that list with a Sportsman 850. I believe the the documented towing is 1500lbs and really, as I understand it, that's not saying it can safely tow 1500lbs but rather it can safely stop 1500lbs ;).

Great point on the trans on the mower vs the ATV. For the spreader I was looking at a Chapin 8620B vs an Agri-fab 45-0329. I wanted something with a big hopper, sure, but I was kind of focused on longevity too and having an enclosed gearbox with a zerk fitting for keeping it greased seems really nice. I've looked at a lot of the lower models and I think "yeah, but if I went one higher I would get X feature" and eventually it feels like $200 is a line in the sand of quality :/

The Agri-Fab 45-0463 is also a close option and is cheaper

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm at the bottom of that list with a Sportsman 850. I believe the the documented towing is 1500lbs and really, as I understand it, that's not saying it can safely tow 1500lbs but rather it can safely stop 1500lbs ;).

Great point on the trans on the mower vs the ATV. For the spreader I was looking at a Chapin 8620B vs an Agri-fab 45-0329. I wanted something with a big hopper, sure, but I was kind of focused on longevity too and having an enclosed gearbox with a zerk fitting for keeping it greased seems really nice. I've looked at a lot of the lower models and I think "yeah, but if I went one higher I would get X feature" and eventually it feels like $200 is a line in the sand of quality :/

The Agri-Fab 45-0463 is also a close option and is cheaper
They seem to really jump in price when you get out of the plastic and into the all metal machinery.

Latest posts