traditional foods for the holiday season

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year my MIL and I made handpainted Springerle cookies. She has the cookie presses. She loves to collect neat things like that. Her family is Polish, but I'm not sure if the cookies are from that culture or not. We hadn't made them since (hadn't found time!), but will have to make them a tradition someday, perhaps when my daughter is old enough to participate. I love to paint anyway, and it was really fun painting on a cookie! I used anise seed fresh from my garden. They were very good, but I found it hard to eat them after all that painstaking work! :rolleyes:

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie - where's the link?

I make Springerle cookies every year, as a matter of fact, they're on my to-do list for this week. I've tried several recipes, the main thing with the dough is to make sure your room isn't too warm, or the dough sticks in the molds. I've got two, I have a rolling pin with the cookie impressions on it, and a hand made press, made by my German great grandfather, who was a lithographer. It looks sorta like a bacon press. That's my favorite, because my great grandmother was my inspiration for both gardening and cooking. I used to make Christmas cookies with her, I lost her when I was ten - but she's with me every Christmas season
christmastree1.gif

Thank you for that link, journey11 - and Hattie, I want to study yours, too! :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, Hattie, good info there! :) Here is a nice link for Springerle cookies. They sell the molds there, but there's also great info, recipes, etc. for all kinds of molded cookies. I've used their recipe, it makes lots of cookies! I did find a source for the baker's ammonia, you've got to be careful with that stuff, you surely don't want to breathe the powder - but it does make a difference in the texture of the cookies!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Reinbeau

Hartshorn/ bakers ammonia is still used by a lot of Scandinavian bakers. I have never used it but I have eaten baked goods thathave it inthem when I worked in Scandinavia. They were delicious & very delicate. I remember a baker in Norway saying that hartshorn was difficult to store as if you don't keep it in absolutely air-tight containers it just disappears !

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Reinbeau

Hartshorn/ bakers ammonia is still used by a lot of Scandinavian bakers. I have never used it but I have eaten baked goods thathave it inthem when I worked in Scandinavia. They were delicious & very delicate. I remember a baker in Norway saying that hartshorn was difficult to store as if you don't keep it in absolutely air-tight containers it just disappears !

:rose Hattie :rose
Yes, it will, it's very volatile. I've got mine in a good Tupperware container, marked in permanent ink to be careful!! I actually got a quantity of it from a Swedish bakery a few towns over - they were surprised I wanted it and know what it was for! They gave it to me :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Thank you, Hattie, good info there! :) Here is a nice link for Springerle cookies. They sell the molds there, but there's also great info, recipes, etc. for all kinds of molded cookies. I've used their recipe, it makes lots of cookies! I did find a source for the baker's ammonia, you've got to be careful with that stuff, you surely don't want to breathe the powder - but it does make a difference in the texture of the cookies!
Wow, they have some beautiful molds! I followed the link for Crafts and seems you can do just about anything you can think of with them.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made pozole this weekend and will make menudo and tamales by xmas for the family. Sometimes it gets sad because we are so far from our family and we dont get to do the whole mexican xmas feast. But it is way easier to clean and cook, now.

Latest posts