Traditions

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is quiet this morning. All but the youngest are still asleep. There is a fire going in the fireplace as I sit to sip my first cup of coffee.

When I think of Thanksgiving I think of how my family would all pack in the car, drive an insane amount of miles to go to my Mammaw's house for dinner. All of my aunts, uncles, cousins - basically everyone in the world would be there. The grown up's would be having "grown-up" drinks, us kids would be finding stuff outside to do. There were always MOUNTAINS of food and even MORE desserts.

My mother was the center of my world, my mammaw was the universe. I had tremendous respect for both and never dreamed the day would come when my mammaw would pass away. So then the family gatherings started taking place at my mom's. Now I was sharing in the "grown-up" drinks, wishing I could still be out there with the kids finding something exciting to do.

Now my own mother has gone almost 2 yrs now. And my oldest child has brought her S.O. and their child, my grandson. There is still a lot of food but not the mountains I remember from my childhood. I made 3 pies from scratch yesterday and will be having the traditional turkey and ham dinner with homemade rolls.

So I am now "The Mom" and "The Grandma" trying to carry on the traditions as best I know how. And I am honored. I hope to have this day be as memorable for my children as all those Thanksgiving days ago.

I hope this Thanksgiving day is as special for everyone as it can be!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving BDR :), and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I've found that being "traditionally eccentric" is not only an oxymoron but it just doesn't work on holidays. (Thank Heavens holidays only come a few times each year!! ;))

Of all the family traditions, providing a welcome place for the young people is the best.

. . . just my 2 :p.

Steve

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do not like the whole family tradition thing.

I treat holidays like every other day - except, if I am lucky, I get a day off from work. I don't want to spend it following someone else's rules.

I just do what I please. It makes me happy.

I used to try to do the whole holiday decorate-meal-gift thing and it is a horrendous nightmare. At some point in my life I woke up and realized that no one was holding a gun to my head - I don't have to do any of those things.

I feel free.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hikerchick said:

I treat holidays like every other day - except, if I am lucky, I get a day off from work. I don't want to spend it following someone else's rules.

I used to try to do the whole holiday decorate-meal-gift thing and it is a horrendous nightmare. At some point in my life I woke up and realized that no one was holding a gun to my head - I don't have to do any of those things.

I feel free.
Oh, I don't feel like I have to do any of it. I want to do it.

Some of the best memories I have are of watching the "grown-up's" talk about life while making some special dish that has been time-tested and passed down thru generations. Or watching as they try some totally new thing. Every once in a while I get to snitch a taste.

It has absolutely nothing to do with thinking I MUST do it. It DOES have everything to do with wanting to give my children the same feelings and experiences I had. How incredibly sad to view a time like that as someone holding a gun to your head.... :/

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
hikerchick said:

I feel free.
Oh, I don't feel like I have to do any of it. I want to do it.

Some of the best memories I have are of watching the "grown-up's" talk about life while making some special dish that has been time-tested and passed down thru generations. Or watching as they try some totally new thing. Every once in a while I get to snitch a taste.

It has absolutely nothing to do with thinking I MUST do it. It DOES have everything to do with wanting to give my children the same feelings and experiences I had. How incredibly sad to view a time like that as someone holding a gun to your head.... :/
I think people should do what makes them happy. It's not sad that I realized that following other people's traditions didn't make me happy; no different from you realizing that it does. We are all different.

Latest posts